Problem with Game using CPU instead of GPU (Witcher 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rabroub

Commendable
Oct 18, 2016
Greetings!
I have spent the entire summer playing The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt GOTY Edition with this setup:
-GPU: MSI GTX 1060 Armor 6GB
-Ram: 16 Gb DDR3 1600mhz
-CPU: i5 4460 3.2Ghz

Everything was going well, I played on high settings and I ALWAYS monitored my system's activity, it averaged on around 99%-100% of GPU usage and 60%-75% of CPU usage, rarely had any framedrops if ever.

I stopped playing since August and returned a couple of days ago, only to be surprised there's a lot of hickups FPS wise, I checked my second monitor to find my CPU usage spiking to a constant 100% while my GPU was barely reaching 20% of usage.

I am CERTAIN no video settings were changed between then and now, the only thing that changed were the contniuous NVIDIA updates from August until now.

I'm not sure exactly why my CPU is constantly at 100% while my GPU is barely being used

Additional information:
+I reinstalled Batman Arkham Knight, Skyrim, GTA V, AC Origins, and all of them ran smoothly. GPU usage was 70% to 90%
+I entered the Nvidia control panal and switched CUDA-GPU's to exclusively select GTX 1060 to no avail.

I'd be grateful if anyone could help with this, it's really frustrating and I don't seem to be the only person who has this. Thanks you in advance.

EDIT: EDIT: after closing all background applications and running TW3 alone, GPU usage was 0%-1%, the game is using CPU onboard graphics and not relying on the GPU at all.

Rabroub

Commendable
Oct 18, 2016

The system is clean.
My problem is TW3 game is relying solely on my CPU onboard graphics instead of my GPU...

Rabroub

Commendable
Oct 18, 2016
Solved.
I had to fiddle with the settings, (Fullscreen to Borderless then fullscreen again, then reboot)
Apparently this happened to a few people after the lastest Nvidia drivers updates.

Thanks to all! ♥

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

Glad to hear the issue is fixed. But I'm curious... why would you think the game is relying on the iGPU when the monitor isn't plugged into the iGPU port?

Status
Not open for further replies.