Problem with Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 Rev.3.3

rh555

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2007
Hi,

I just got a new GA-965P-DS3 Rev. 3.3 motherboard but I have some problems with it. When I connect my SATA drive WD5000AAKS everything works fine and Windows XP starts in a normal time + the HDD LED also works perfectly.

However when I install my EIDE drive through the EIDE connector first the HDD LED stays lit up all the time although the EIDE drives works perfectly. Also when I have the EIDE drive connected the boot screen stays there for 45sec. before it starts to load windows which also takes alot more time than just having the SATA drive connected. When I only use the SATA drive the boot screen is there only for 1second instead of 45sec. It seems the bios needs forever to recognize EIDE devices.

I also have a EIDE DVD burner which is connected through a SATA port using a SATA to IDE converter but I had to disconnected it because loading windows took even longer than having just the other 2 drives installed. So after 5 min I just pushed the reset button.

So if anybody has any idea why this board has so much trouble recognizing EIDE drives and why my HDD LED stays lit up with 2 drives connected even both work fine please let me know. Might just be some BIOS setting.

Thx

P.S. I have a E6420 with 2Gigs of RAM + 2 Graphics cards (7900GS + MX4000)

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
Is there an OS on the IDE drive? If there is, you should format the drive but back up anything you want first. I'd start by making the hdd the Master and the burner the Slave, make sure the jumpers on each set appropriately. I'd also try a different cable.

rh555

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2007
thx for the replies, It looks like all my problems are caused by a half way pushed-in pin on my EIDE drive. I'll know tomorrow after I get a pair of tweezers. If thats the case I just wasted the last week trying all kinds of HDD repair tools etc. Oh well...

P.S. HDD works but is incredible slow I mean it transfers like 512KB/sec if that and I think thats what slowed down the whole boot-up process even though this HDD is not the one I have windows xp on