problem with Graphic display resolution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

simonchipmunk

Reputable
Apr 8, 2014
darkbreeze, you are a godsend with your tutorial on clean install of grahics card drivers in windows 7,8,10.
I am not as afraid as iwas to deal with this issue onmy HP business Notebook.
thank you so much!!!!
simonchipmunk

Solution
I'd probably remove the two Nvidia adapters by right clicking them and selecting uninstall and then in the resulting box check uninstall device drivers from within device manager, then run the DDU choosing the Nvidia option according to the link above.

simonchipmunk

Reputable
Apr 8, 2014
darkbreeze, like an idiot,I forgot to make a note of the Graphics Adaptor on the Notebook,
before I upgraded to windows 10.The notebook had been refurbished when I bought it. the manual I downloaded re. the components,listed the graphics adaptor as an Intel. I ran dxdiag.exe and sure enough the adaptor listed under display is intel. when I checked the list of applications and features, it listed 2 NVIDIA adaptors and next to each is "unavailable". I am guessing that the intel is what windows installed, and the 2 NVIDIA graphics adapters listed may have been what was installed in the refurbishing of the Notebook.
would I be correct in my guessing? I want to make sure that I download the correct drivers from th correct manufacturer.
does this make sense?

Actually, there is a good chance there are both Intel and Nvidia adapters installed. That's not a certainty, but it's likely. The Intel adapter is likely integrated with the CPU, like most current and recent gen Intel processors, and meant for light graphics processing, while the Nivida adapter is likely a discreet PCI card installed in the notebook for more advanced graphics processing like 3D applications and gaming.

What is the full model number of the notebook as well as any service tag identifiers that might be listed on the service tag sticker or printed on the unit?

I'd probably remove the two Nvidia adapters by right clicking them and selecting uninstall and then in the resulting box check uninstall device drivers from within device manager, then run the DDU choosing the Nvidia option according to the link above.

Solution

simonchipmunk

Reputable
Apr 8, 2014

HPCompaq 6730b
Serial No.CNU9336NP
Product No. NA373UC #ABA
it was manufactured by Metro Business Systems
inside the notebook is the Intel Centrino Pro sticker

Looking at the specs, I think it's possible somebody added the Nvidia adapter later, as it's not showing up for the unit's product or model numbers. I'd run the DDU choosing the Nvidia option and then maybe run the automatic utility on the Nvidia website here:

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

I think the Intel adapter driver will probably be fine with the windows supplied driver. Since it's an older model, don't be surprised if it takes a couple of reboots for the Intel adapter to be given the correct display adapter driver. I've had a few minor issues with that on some older Intel systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.