Problem with GTX 770 BSoD, black screen with fans running on high etc

idiot_savant

Honorable
Aug 10, 2013
So, my computer is less than a year old, built by CyberpowerPC and it's the first time I've bought from them. From the start, the rig has been NOISY. I chalked this up to some of the larger fans and power source in comparison to my other machines. It would buzz, I can when a fan runs down and sort of rattles down. It was annoying but tolerable.

A few months ago I had an issue while playing certain games. The buzzing got MUCH louder and noticeable. This all culminated one evening while I was playing the screen went black, the fans went to max and it just sort of stopped. I could still hear sounds from my headphones but nothing short of hard resetting would get it to work. This started happening every few weeks; there is no consistency in what triggers it.

I tried doing some troubleshooting on my own. I pulled off the side panel and it sounds like it's coming from the video card itself. I checked the internal temperature and that seemed ok too. I left the side panel off for a few days to see if maybe there wasn't enough airflow and for awhile I thought that was the issue and considered getting another fan for the case. Then I got a BSoD twice in a short span. I wasn't able to recreate the issue so I decided to contact Cyberpower.

They seem to think it's the video card. It's still under warranty but one of two things needs to happen. I either need to yank out the card, send it back, and wait on a replacement or send the whole thing back, have them look at it, then wait for a return. In either case I need to pay money out of pocket and be without a computer for god only knows how long. I'm not happy with either option.

I'm hoping someone here can maybe suggest something I haven't tried yet. I'm not looking forward to going rounds in order to get this thing fixed.

Solution
Don't worry about it. That's very strange, we have different GPU brands (mine is Gigabyte). EVGA usually has very high quality products with a very low percentage of their shipped PC components arriving with problems, so that is very unfortunate. If I were you, I would RMA just the graphics card, EVGA is pretty good with customer service and will get you a new one fairly promptly. It should also be a lot less costly than shipping back an entire heavy and unwieldy PC, so thats another plus. And if you are sure that it is the graphics card, then there is no reason to return the entire computer.

Make sure you haven't overclocked your GPU, and if you have return it to stock clocks. That does sound like a GPU problem, although it's not too...

apcs13

Honorable
Oct 2, 2013
Could I ask what brand of 770 you have? I had a similar problem with my Gigabyte Windforce model, and still kind of do in regards to the noise. Ever since I built my PC a strange "rattling" noise has persisted, and I have pretty much eliminated all possibilites of what it could be. It never sounded like the GPU, since the sound goes away when my PC is under a load and manually setting GPU fan speeds to high still showed the sound to be present, but now that you say this I am still unsure. I also got blackscreen crashes, but that was due to display drivers being bad on the PC.

I would recommend you:
1. Say the specific model of 770 and
2. Do a COMPLETE CLEAN install of the latest NVIDIA display drivers. That means uninstalling all NVIDIA components from your PC via control panel, rebooting into Safe Mode, using Driver Fusion to remove NVIDIA Drivers, and if you really want to be sure, reboot into Safe Mode again and use CCleaner to scan for registry issues. This is an extra layer of what is needed, but it usually finds a ton of stuff that the free version of Driver Fusion misses for me.

Try all of that and get back to me, hopefully it works!

idiot_savant

Honorable
Aug 10, 2013
Sorry, should have posted that. It's NVIDIA GeForce 770. Tech support had me do the driver thing, and again, it looked like it might work...until it didn't. I can try the CCleaner to see if that helps.

apcs13

Honorable
Oct 2, 2013

No, I don't mean the company of the GPU, I know that to be NVIDIA, they're the only ones who produce the 770. I mean the manufacturer of the total graphics card. There are different companies that do this. NVIDIA sells companies such as MSI, EVGA, Gigabyte, etc. their GPUs, and those companies slightly tweak, modify, and attach beefy cooling units to the cards and then resell them at a higher price. It is possible, however, to have a GPU not altered by this process. That would be called a Reference card, it is exactly as specified by NVIDIA and comes with their default cooler. There are a number of softwares that you can use to tell you what kind of card you have (EVGA Precision comes to mind, although meant for advanced card control and overclocking I believe it also tells your the specific brand of GPU), or you can just look at the actual graphics card in the PC. It will usually have the brand name somewhere on the cooling unit, or if it doesn't, it will be a Reference model and be silver and white, and have the green letters GEFORCE on the side with no other brands except maybe NVIDIA.

apcs13

Honorable
Oct 2, 2013

No, I don't mean the company of the GPU, I know that to be NVIDIA, they're the only ones who produce the 770. I mean the manufacturer of the total graphics card. There are different companies that do this. NVIDIA sells companies such as MSI, EVGA, Gigabyte, etc. their GPUs, and those companies slightly tweak, modify, and attach beefy cooling units to the cards and then resell them at a higher price. It is possible, however, to have a GPU not altered by this process. That would be called a Reference card, it is exactly as specified by NVIDIA and comes with their default cooler. There are a number of softwares that you can use to tell you what kind of card you have (EVGA Precision comes to mind, although meant for advanced card control and overclocking I believe it also tells your the specific brand of GPU), or you can just look at the actual graphics card in the PC. It will usually have the brand name somewhere on the cooling unit, or if it doesn't, it will be a Reference model and be silver and white, and have the green letters GEFORCE on the side with no other brands except maybe NVIDIA.

idiot_savant

Honorable
Aug 10, 2013

Oh, sorry, I'm not nearly as tech savvy as I should be. Checked the invoice and it says EVGA Superclocked.

apcs13

Honorable
Oct 2, 2013
Don't worry about it. That's very strange, we have different GPU brands (mine is Gigabyte). EVGA usually has very high quality products with a very low percentage of their shipped PC components arriving with problems, so that is very unfortunate. If I were you, I would RMA just the graphics card, EVGA is pretty good with customer service and will get you a new one fairly promptly. It should also be a lot less costly than shipping back an entire heavy and unwieldy PC, so thats another plus. And if you are sure that it is the graphics card, then there is no reason to return the entire computer.

Make sure you haven't overclocked your GPU, and if you have return it to stock clocks. That does sound like a GPU problem, although it's not too frequently that BSoD's are caused by a GPU issue, thats generally more either software, CPU, or RAM, although it is possible to come from the graphics card. RMA would be best of the GPU.

Solution