Problem with GTX 970 after replacing stock cooler

Thot

Reputable
Sep 27, 2014
Hi,

I have just bought the new Geforce GTX 970 from Gainward. After installation everything worked fine, there was no problem, only the stock cooler was too noisy so I decided to replace it with Accelero Twin Turbo III. And from there everything went south. After replacing the cooler, plugging the card to the motherboard and starting up the computer I get this result - it boots to the system, I can see the desktop for a few seconds, then the screen goes black, computer reboots and it keeps happening again and again. I am able to boot up to the safe mode where it shows that the computer went through BSOD - the dump files are here and here. I was able to find out that when I remove the nVidia driver, it boots up just fine. So far I have tried both available drivers for GTX 970, reinstalling Windows (I'm using Win 7 Professional) and clearing CMOS, nothing worked. Even replacing the aftermarket cooler back with stock one doesn't make any difference. Can anyone please advise me on how should I proceed? I'm getting really desperate. Did I somehow manage to damage the card? Thanks in advance for your advice.

Solution
Just check the connection between the GPU chip and the cooler. Did you used the correct washers? Maybe that is the problem. I am using exactly same card as you have together with the twin turbo III and it works perfectly.

Overclocked core - 220 +, votlage + 10mV and memory 300 + and the temp doesnt go over 49 degress by full load.
Stock cooler is very s.....ty, temperature before 76 at stock values and the fan was reaaaly loud.
These after market coolers are designed for the reference card. I'm not sure these will suit the Gainward design.
If you changed the cooler and it no longer works at all, you must have damaged the card.
You voided the warranty by removing the original cooler.
It looks like you might be up for a new card. Choose one with a good cooler from the manufacturer.

Thot

Reputable
Sep 27, 2014

So you think the card is actually done for good? It's hard for me to just settle with that. I wouldn't say anything if the card didn't work at all, but in this case it just doesn't seem to work with the driver installed. Do you at least have an idea about what type of damage could inflict such behavior?

delltech1

Reputable
Oct 7, 2014
Just check the connection between the GPU chip and the cooler. Did you used the correct washers? Maybe that is the problem. I am using exactly same card as you have together with the twin turbo III and it works perfectly.

Overclocked core - 220 +, votlage + 10mV and memory 300 + and the temp doesnt go over 49 degress by full load.
Stock cooler is very s.....ty, temperature before 76 at stock values and the fan was reaaaly loud.

Solution

Thot

Reputable
Sep 27, 2014

Yes, that actually was the problem, I used incorrect washers. Now it works perfectly for me as well. :)