[SOLVED] Problem with Gtx 980 ti

jimmy1424142

Commendable
Jun 18, 2018
I know this question has probably been asked quite a bit but I figured I would ask again for my specific situation.
My GTX 980 ti has been making some rattling noises, I'm assuming from the fan, but I can't figure out how to fix it. They make no noise when I spin then myself and there is nothing in the way. The card also idles at around 55° c with the fans spinning on a custom fan curve. I've already replaced the thermal paste and there should be plenty of airflow in my case. I did buy this card probably 3 weeks ago from eBay so I'm wondering if it would be best to try to get it returned. I didn't particularly want to do this because I just sent back another gpu before getting this one. What should I do?
Any help would be appreciated!

Solution
The only way to get around a rattling fan issue is to replace the fan with replacement fans off Ebay or Aliexpress(if you can find them) or replace the entire cooling assembly. The former is cheaper while the latter will be around 1000USD. Are you sure that the card doesn't exhibit any artifacts when taxed with games or stresstesting app's? If not, then you're good to go with a cooling assembly reaplcement.

Lutfij

Titan
The only way to get around a rattling fan issue is to replace the fan with replacement fans off Ebay or Aliexpress(if you can find them) or replace the entire cooling assembly. The former is cheaper while the latter will be around 1000USD. Are you sure that the card doesn't exhibit any artifacts when taxed with games or stresstesting app's? If not, then you're good to go with a cooling assembly reaplcement.

Solution

jimmy1424142

Commendable
Jun 18, 2018
Okay, I'll have to look into that. I have noticed in a couple games that there is some significant screen tearing but only in some games. I figured that might just be because my graphics are on ultra but maybe not...

Okay, I'll have to look into that. I have noticed in a couple games that there is some significant screen tearing but only in some games. I figured that might just be because my graphics are on ultra but maybe not...
Screen tearing is caused by the monitor refresh being out of sync with the frames being created. What is your monitor refresh rate and what FPS are you getting in the games?