Problem with hard drive "ghost" in bios; possible dead/dying drive

Mitosis

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009
I am having a weird problem with a drive of mine. It's about 2 years old and I've been having this problem for a couple months but it finally reached the point where I can't fix it. What used to happen is that while using my computer the drive would just disappear from explorer. I would have to reboot my computer to get it to show up. It happened very rarely (3-4 times). Now I can't get the drive to show back up, but here is the weird part: when I power down the computer completely and turn off the psu so no power at all when I boot up I can see the drive in bios. Then I get stuck at starting windows screen. I've tried waiting up to 45 minutes and it's not doing anything so it just freezes. But then when I restart the drive is gone from bios. If I power down without turning off the psu then when I boot up the drive is still missing. I thought the drive was dead but I'm not so sure now since it's being detected by the bios on a new start.

I have 3 HDD's and 2 ssd's. The dead drive is a seagate 2tb and it isn't my boot drive. I have a 650w psu that I just bought (and previously I had a 650 psu too). I tried different sata cables and different sata hubs but nothing seems to work. All of my other drives work fine no matter what hub/bus so it isn't the motherboard. I think the drive is dead but I just wanted to confirm because it still shows up in bios on cold start--seems really weird. Also seems weird that it hangs on starting windows (I'm using windows 7) when it is detected in bios.

Update 1: Ok this is even more messed up. I just did 2 cold boots in a row, first one hanged I decided to shut off (including psu) and second time booted right up, windows installed a driver for the drive (weird because I've had the drive for so long) and I can see it. I'm going to back up my data from there while I still can first and will report back.

Update 2: Ran all diagnostics, everything says it is fine. However with crystal disk info it has a "caution" health status due to reallocated sectors count: 3288, current pending sectors: 544, uncorrectables sector count 544. Not sure if it's just because of crystal disk because seatools came out fine on all tests. Transferred everything off succesfully.

Solution
SeaTools is a pass-or-fail diagnostic. Obviously the drive is very, very sick, but SeaTools will only fail it if the Reallocated Sector Count has dropped below the threshold.

Mitosis

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009
No it's too old for warranty. I'm scanning it with seatools as well to see. That's my guess too. But it seems weird that it's intermittent like it is. I guess it could just still be "failing" making it worse and worse until it's finally dead. It really didn't get that much use either.