[SOLVED] Problem with Hard Drive (randomly) Disconnecting while transferring and not letting me acces it.

Alex Kordatzakis

Reputable
Jul 11, 2017
So, I have an old 500GB's HDD. It was working really good, until it had 20 GB Free space left. Then, it started randomly disconnecting while i'm working on files inside him, or moving data. I tried releasing space, but after a period of time, it disconnects from the Computer and I have to turn it off for more than 10 minutes to get it to "see" it again. It doesnt let me acces many folders, as it gets stuck, waiting waiting waiting and then disconnects again. I tried using Powershell instead of File Explorer, same thing.

It behaves really like old electronics. That were overheated and nedeed a time to cool until you use them again. I dont get any Error Codes. I cant free up space because it disconnects.
How can I atleast get my data, even if I have to Format the HDD later or even throw it away.

Any help would be appreciated.

Specs:
CPU: Intel i5-6600
Motherboard: Asus H110M-D D3
Ram: Kingston 2x8 GB's DDR3
SSD/HDD: 1xSamsung 256GB SSD / 1xToshiba 1TB / 1xW.D. 512GB HDD (The one with the issue)
GPU: Gainward GTX750Ti 2GB's

Solution
check the seating of the sata data cable
try a different SATA data cable
try different SATA ports on the motherboard
check the HDD with its manufacturer´s tool (WDlife)

Alex Kordatzakis

Reputable
Jul 11, 2017
As helpstar says.

WD HDD testing utility Data Lifeguard for Windows is Here

Thank you. With my little experience with Computer Forensic Science, i have this question. Is there a possible way to create i.e. an "image" of the Drive, and then try to "decode/decompress" restore the image to another drive?

Thank you.

Alex Kordatzakis

Reputable
Jul 11, 2017
As helpstar says.

WD HDD testing utility Data Lifeguard for Windows is Here

I did run the LifeGuard Diagnostics. S.M.A.R.T. Drive Info says EVERYTHING checks out OK. All Green Checks. A Quick Test Diagnostics also says everyhting works ok....