Question Problem with HDMI connection and monitor (any help appreciated)

Sep 29, 2019
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone might be able to help please.

I’m currently trying to setup a working environment for my partner who has recently been given a Dell Latitude 5480 to work on from home and she would like to use two displays like she does at work.

I already use a dual monitor/display setup (an old Dell SX2210 & Dell 1907FP) which I use with my desktop and I’m currently trying to plug her laptop into these two monitors:

Dell SX2210:- I’ve plugged the laptop into the Dell SX2210 monitor using an HDMI cable which is also plugged into a HDMI switch (a Tecknet 3 Port HDMI Switcher to save swapping the HDMI cable over between my desktop and her laptop each time).

Dell 1907FP:- I’ve plugged the laptop into the Dell 1907FP monitor using a VGA cable (as my desktop is plugged into this monitor using a DVI cable).

All is working very well so far and she can use both monitors at the same time provided the laptop screen/lid is down.

The only problem is that when I turn her laptop on the HDMI switch chooses the correct input automatically, but when the Dell SX2210 monitor powers on and out of standby – the screen is black. The only thing which will fix this is to pull the power cable out the back of the monitor then plug it back in – and all is fine again.

Conversely if I turn on my desktop the HDMI switch automatically chooses the correct input, the Dell SX2210 monitor powers on and out of standby – and all is okay, I can see my desktop.

I have tried my own laptop a Dell Inspiron and a different HDMI cable but the result is the same unfortunately. I was wondering if anyone has any ideas as to what the problem is or how to fix it please? I am hoping it is something simple which I’ve missed and not a problem with the monitor as such. For the moment pulling out the power cable works as a fix, but it is a hassle pulling the power cable out each time.

Please let me know if you require any further information and thank you in advance for any help/advice anyone can offer me, would really appreciate it.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS