Tetragramm

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2008
I recently bought a factory OC'd refurb. I wanted to see if I could OC it some more, so I downloaded speed fan to see what the temp was. I was surprised to find the CPU idling at 58-60C and the GPU at 66C. The only fan I could easily control is my GPU fan using the Nvidia utilities. I tried changing it from the default 30% to 100% This made the CPU and GPU temps drop in step (each drops at the same rate) so that they each dropped 8-10 degrees C.

The problem is, my GPU fan is on the opposite side of the card from my CPU.
See this picture.

My question is, how can I make my CPU temp drop without running my GPU fan so hard. It's very loud. The orientation of the two fans is that the top left one blows out of the case, while the CPU fan blows into the CPU. The case has a large perforated rectangle that extends from nearly the top to the bottom, in line with the CPU fan and GPU exhausts.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
First off, your CPU and GPU really don't do much to cool one or the other. Depending on your CPU, those temps are pretty warm for idle. For your GPU, that is OK, but a little warm for only idle. Try removing the case panel (like you have shown) and put a regular house fan next to it and see what your temps are. If they go down dramatically, you have a serious airflow problem. If they remain about the same, you have some very hot hardware and should consider what to do next. BTW...what hardware are you running? Some specs might help determine issues with specific hardware components.

Tetragramm

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2008
The problem is, the GPU fan has a direct correlation to what happens with my CPU temp. I think I'll try removing the case, it doesn't take much to get it off.
I don't know what kind of case I have. I didn't buy the case, but it has a DX next to the power button.

Tetragramm

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2008
Hmm, Taking the case off an adding a fan just dropped the temps to GPU 55C and CPU 48C. Must be the airflow. Any suggestions on how to improve it?
Since I know the suggestions are going to include adding an extra fan, I went and found an old one that I had. It has the red and black wires, but there is no plug on the end of them. How would I get this to work?

rakesh_sharma23

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2008
Do some case moding
Install a fan on the side pannel. On the bottom side
forcing air directly on the gpu.

it will help you drop some temp.

You can see my case. Fan on side pannel forces air in GPU.
hope it will help:-
img0322ce1.jpg

Tetragramm

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2008
Well, I have a fan, but the fan doesn't have a plug on the end of the wires. There is just a red and a black wire coming out the side. How would I plug this in or make it work? Thanks.

Conumdrum

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
You buy pins and a connector, or buy a fan. And you know the rating of that fan? It could be junk.

Buy a Yate Loon High speed fan from Petras. About $6 max. Very popular brand, great place. And has both connectors on it.