Problem with HP laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

bartsarzy

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2010
Hey everyone, I am hoping someone can help me with my problem. Ok, so I have an HP G60-445DX. Yes I know this laptop is like an oven but thats not my problem. My problem is that my battery is not charging. Before I go and buy the 12 cell battery, I wanted to know if there is a way for me to find out if my original battery is kaput or is there something the matter with the charing port. I do not think the charging port is bad because I can still use the laptop but it has to be plugged in. On the battery icon in the task bar, it states, "plugged in, not charging." I did uninstall and reinstall the "Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery," but that did not work either. There is no new update for the BIOS either. Also I the "HP Battery Check," but for some reason thats not working. I am running Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit. Hoping you can tell me a different way to check the battery but if not I just go buy the new battery. Also if a need a new battery, should I get the OEM or a cheaper brand. Thanks

Solution
Do you have a multimeter? If you do, then it is testing time. Test the charger brick, just stick one of the rod into the hole and another touch the metal of the output socket. If the voltage and amp matches what is labelled on your power brick, then it is fine. Test if power socket is working. Remove battery and plug in power cord. If you can start the computer up, then the socket is fine. If you pass both test, then battery is your problem.
I assume you are out of warranty, so I recommend a generic battery. However, good quality generic battery is not that much cheaper than an original one, probably 10-15% less than original. You don't want to see one explode. Also, keep your battery in good health by not emptying it to often. Li-ion...
Do you have a multimeter? If you do, then it is testing time. Test the charger brick, just stick one of the rod into the hole and another touch the metal of the output socket. If the voltage and amp matches what is labelled on your power brick, then it is fine. Test if power socket is working. Remove battery and plug in power cord. If you can start the computer up, then the socket is fine. If you pass both test, then battery is your problem.
I assume you are out of warranty, so I recommend a generic battery. However, good quality generic battery is not that much cheaper than an original one, probably 10-15% less than original. You don't want to see one explode. Also, keep your battery in good health by not emptying it to often. Li-ion battery has no memory effect so you do not have to drain them. Only do it once a month to keep battery level calibration accurate. If you are not going to use it for a long time, remove it form laptop and store in cool dry place.

Solution

bartsarzy

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2010

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.