Problem with HP Photosmart 7260

I have decided to buy a HP 7260 printer. First, I was surprised that the
driver installation is _only_ 50 MB ! Well, here we go. The installation
under normally running WinXP SP1 was without any glitch, but, allas, 6 or 7
new processes have started afterwards. During the installation there's no
possibility to choose any components. My test page prints OK. Should I be
Happy? Let's see. To be more certain about this I decided to print the test
page with my older Epson. Both printers are USB. I swapped them, the Epson
was found, so I selected it to be used. Here we go again. I get a HP printer
moniring screen waiting for a PHOTOSMART printer. After 1 minute or so I had
to cancel printing, because nothing was happening. One more check. I have an
Adobe's Acrobat with its own virtual pdf printer, so we can check once more.
The result is the same: we are waiting for a PhotoSmart to be connected!
Here my expertise ends. I have no idea what a virtual pdf printer could have
in common with HP status monitor. The HP was uninstalled with following
obligatory restart. Then everything came to normal.
Definately, HP installs some processes in system level which take over ALL
printing.

I am still wondering if it's stupid me, or smart HP... ;-)

"AS" <ars@TrasH.net> wrote in message
> Definately, HP installs some processes in system level which take over ALL
> printing.

Hmmm, that's interesting. I have an HP Photosmart 7350 with multiple
printers installed. I regularly print from the other printers (a Canon
i560, Epson C84 and HP 930c) without a problem. I run Windows XP Home. I
hope the resident HP expert Bob H. can help ya out...

We'll see. In general I'm considering to return the printer because of this.
BTW, the drivers were the latest ones downloadable from HP.

"xNokia3390x" <ofc2-ivom@spamex.com> wrote in message
> "AS" <ars@TrasH.net> wrote in message
> > Definately, HP installs some processes in system level which take over
ALL
> > printing.
>
> Hmmm, that's interesting. I have an HP Photosmart 7350 with multiple
> printers installed. I regularly print from the other printers (a Canon
> i560, Epson C84 and HP 930c) without a problem. I run Windows XP Home. I
> hope the resident HP expert Bob H. can help ya out...

I have checked just for curiosity, the 7350 uses another line of drivers.