[SOLVED] Problem with HP Z440 Workstation after upgrading GPU & PSU ?

evilavatar

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
So I had bought a used HP Z440 workstation as we use them at work. Attempted to upgrade the power supply and add a new video card. Been working great up until now. I got an evga 750 watt power supply and got connector cables to port the existing power supply to fit the motherboard the 440 has. Once connected to the computer it looked like it powered up fine but was not picking up the video display. I shut it off with the power button on the front panel - swapped the monitor settings and tried again. I was greeted by red and white blinking lights and after a few tries gave up and put the old psu back in. Now I got nothing with that either. Anyone got suggestions or did I fry my motherboard ?

Solution
Those PSU adapter cables you used may very well have fried the motherboard. You can try to reset the BIOS on it and see if it turns on, unplug power and remove the CMOS battery for about 30 seconds, plug things in and see if it works. Make sure the video cable is in the motherboard with the video card removed.
Those PSU adapter cables you used may very well have fried the motherboard. You can try to reset the BIOS on it and see if it turns on, unplug power and remove the CMOS battery for about 30 seconds, plug things in and see if it works. Make sure the video cable is in the motherboard with the video card removed.

Solution