[SOLVED] Problem with hynix 256GB PCIe NVMe SSD

sam781

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2013
My HP Spectre x360 13 came with hynix M.2 2280 PCIe NVMe 256GB SSD. I've replaced this with HP EX950 512GB SSD. The laptop is running perfectly ok.
I purchased an USB3.1 supported M.2 SSD enclosure (metalic) with M key to use hynix 256GB SSD. The enclosure with 256GB SSD worked fine and file read/write was ok (data transfer speed was about 300 MBps). But the problem was the enclosure become very hot. I checked temperature with crystal disk info and found above 55°c. Note that the new 512GB SSD in laptop remains near 30°c.

Then I deleted partitions and format the old SSD in NTFS. Everything remains same. Then I again tried to format with ExFAT settings quick format checkbook unchecked in my laptop powered by Windows 10. Then the horrible thing happened by giving error. The storage lost. I tried to attach and detach the external drive several times but Windows is unable to detect the storage. When I open windows disk management, it give prompt to make the new disk online. After clicking ok it gives error.

What could be the issue and how it can be resolved?

Last edited:
Solution
not sure what is /might be occurring with the enclosure...

If you can format/restore and use the drive fine from within the laptop, the drive is fine...
Perhaps you can remove the EX950, reinstall the Hynix in the laptops M.2 NVME slot, and see if a Windows installation USB installer sees it and gives you the opportunity for quick formatting it NTFS again...; if so, count yourself lucky, and, I'd leave well enough alone afterward. (you cannot expect one to run 40-44CC loaded temps in an enclosed container barely big enough to hold the SSD)

sam781

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2013
Perhaps you can remove the EX950, reinstall the Hynix in the laptops M.2 NVME slot, and see if a Windows installation USB installer sees it and gives you the opportunity for quick formatting it NTFS again...; if so, count yourself lucky, and, I'd leave well enough alone afterward. (you cannot expect one to run 40-44CC loaded temps in an enclosed container barely big enough to hold the SSD)

I did it. I reinstalled hynix to my laptop and did a hp recovery. So, I got OS installed in my hynix. Storage is also ok. As I did HP recovery there was no choice of formatting the drive. I again inserted the hynix to enclusure, but the same issue.
Is there any chance the enclusure is damaged? But can the formatting damage the hardware?

https://pasteboard.co/JDl5acv.png