[SOLVED] Problem with I7 3770k and my HP pavilion 500-064er

Jan 2, 2019
Just got the CPU i7 3770k, on my PC HP pavilion 500-064er

Motherboard: I got Joshua-H61-uATX (Joshua)
Bios: AMI 8.20 1/8/2015

Now I got Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3350P CPU @ 3.10GHz and wanted to upgrade a bit,

But when i put the i7 3770k it shows that is not compatible. Any way to make it work?

thank you

Solution
If reinstalling the old CPU works fine, then I think it would point towards something specific concerning the i7-3770k.

HP's support can be rather difficult for a non-owner to navigate. I had a look earlier but couldn't find any BIOS updates to see if there's a newer version than the one you mention. Here I am assuming it's a motherboard issue relating to the CPU.

It's possible the i7-3770k isn't working. Personally would expect a blank screen, but perhaps others can advise on that aspect.

Picture may help. I can't help but think I'm overlooking something.
According to HP: https://support.hp.com/gb-en/document/c03135925
According to Intel: https://ark.intel.com/products/65523/Intel-Core-i7-3770K-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-3-90-GHz-

It sounds like it should work with this particular i7 being within the motherboard spec, and TDP limit. The only thing I can think of is see if there's a BIOS update for the motherboard.

As an aside, how does it show "that it is not compatible"?

Jan 2, 2019
Just starting the PC on a black screen it shows that this CPU is not compatible and it shutdowns.

is there a possibility that I have BIOS installed but it's not for my PC?

The BIOS is for the motherboard. As far as I understand it, the wrong BIOS would ruin the motherboard.

For the system to reject the upgrade like that... I would still suspect BIOS. But looking at the PC model the last driver updates where back in 2013.

Does the old CPU still work with the system? If it doesn't then something is going on which is being overlooked.

Jan 2, 2019

Everything works fine, just wanted to update for a better CPU. Is it possible that the CPU is not working? But the system it detects fine, just says it's not supported. I can post an image if it helps. The CPU was used but I was told that it works.

If reinstalling the old CPU works fine, then I think it would point towards something specific concerning the i7-3770k.

HP's support can be rather difficult for a non-owner to navigate. I had a look earlier but couldn't find any BIOS updates to see if there's a newer version than the one you mention. Here I am assuming it's a motherboard issue relating to the CPU.

It's possible the i7-3770k isn't working. Personally would expect a blank screen, but perhaps others can advise on that aspect.

Picture may help. I can't help but think I'm overlooking something.

Solution