Problem with installing OS on another HDD

haohao

Commendable
Feb 22, 2016
I have a Windows 7 PC and I would like to install another Windows (Windows 10) to an additional hard disk. The problem is, whenever it reboots after installing the new Windows on the additional HDD, it hangs at the "getting your device ready" screen. Are there any solution to this problem?

Solution
Hey there again, haohao!

This seems pretty unfortunate! :( I'd advise you to backup any important data elsewhere. You could be dealing with internal damage on some of the PC components. I'd suggest you bench troubleshoot your system and see if there is anything to worry about with the hardware.
If you don't feel confident about performing these steps by yourself, I'd advise you to turn to a professional PC repair service and let the tech guys there perform full diagnostics and find the source of the issue.

Good luck! Keep me posted, though.
SuperSoph_WD
Welcome to the community, haohao!

I'd recommend you to make sure that the booting order is properly configured in the BIOS settings. Did you unplug the primary Windows 7 booting HDD when you were installing Win 10 on the secondary drive?
I'd also suggest you take a look at the connections inside your rig and make sure everything is mounted properly. Another thing you should look is the SATA controller and chipset driver updates from your motherboard manufacturer's website.
If you haven't done that already, I guess you might also give the BIOS reset a try. It would get all your BIOS settings back to factory defaults.

Hope this helps. :)
SuperSoph_WD

haohao

Commendable
Feb 22, 2016

Yes, I did unplug the primary Windows 7 HDD. I got the blue screen "MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION" when I boot up the Windows 10, not sure if it is the HDD problem or motherboard's. I will try resetting BIOS settings this weekend! Thanks for the answer anyways! :)

haohao

Commendable
Feb 22, 2016

Sorry to trouble you, but same thing happened again. Windows 7 HDD is working fine, no blue screen. The one installed with Windows 10 either got blue screen or stuck at the getting devices ready. Any idea or solution? :(

Hey there again, haohao!

This seems pretty unfortunate! :( I'd advise you to backup any important data elsewhere. You could be dealing with internal damage on some of the PC components. I'd suggest you bench troubleshoot your system and see if there is anything to worry about with the hardware.
If you don't feel confident about performing these steps by yourself, I'd advise you to turn to a professional PC repair service and let the tech guys there perform full diagnostics and find the source of the issue.

Good luck! Keep me posted, though.
SuperSoph_WD

Solution