Problem with intermittent wireless connection

faye

I have a desk top running Windows XP PRo, and a laptop running Windows
Home edition with a built in wireless card (LAN Express AS IEEE
802.11g, running a netgear router (802.11b). I had always used a
netgear wireless card with my old IBM windows 2000 computer no
problem, but i'm getting intermittent and lots of drop out with this
laptop. I can usually access internet fine, even though for some
reason the signal strength is always low or very low. ANd when I right
click on the wireless connection icon on the task bar to view
available wireless network, i'm not seeing any. Everything is greyed
out except cancel.
Like I said before, internet is usually no problem, but when I try to
access the share files on my desktop (accessing a movie), i'll play it
for about 10minutes, and it'll get disconnected while internet is
okay. Now I know this is a problem for alot of people with XP, and
it certainly maybe multifactorial. I have a 2.4gHz phone (no problem
working with my old IBM running on 2000), and i have 2 different
brands wireless card and router.
I've disabled the wireless zero configuration, enabled NetBios, I
haen't tried the WEP thing yet, but I will next. THe ONLY thing that
will help restore connection is by right clicking on MY COMPUTER,
select manage, expand system, select system, and on the right computer
browser, and restart it, then everything will be fine for another say,
10 minutes.
ANy ideas??? Please help. ANy ideas will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
I'm not sure if i should return this laptop since i can't make use of
it. (SOny Vaio K13)

dornachu@yahoo.com (faye) wrote in news:94713049.0404180649.452377d7
@posting.google.com:

> I have a desk top running Windows XP PRo, and a laptop running Windows
> Home edition with a built in wireless card (LAN Express AS IEEE
> 802.11g, running a netgear router (802.11b). I had always used a
> netgear wireless card with my old IBM windows 2000 computer no
> problem, but i'm getting intermittent and lots of drop out with this
> laptop. I can usually access internet fine, even though for some
> reason the signal strength is always low or very low. ANd when I right
> click on the wireless connection icon on the task bar to view
> available wireless network, i'm not seeing any. Everything is greyed
> out except cancel.
> Like I said before, internet is usually no problem, but when I try to
> access the share files on my desktop (accessing a movie), i'll play it
> for about 10minutes, and it'll get disconnected while internet is
> okay. Now I know this is a problem for alot of people with XP, and
> it certainly maybe multifactorial. I have a 2.4gHz phone (no problem
> working with my old IBM running on 2000), and i have 2 different
> brands wireless card and router.
> I've disabled the wireless zero configuration, enabled NetBios, I
> haen't tried the WEP thing yet, but I will next. THe ONLY thing that
> will help restore connection is by right clicking on MY COMPUTER,
> select manage, expand system, select system, and on the right computer
> browser, and restart it, then everything will be fine for another say,
> 10 minutes.
> ANy ideas??? Please help. ANy ideas will be greatly appreciated.
> Thanks.
> I'm not sure if i should return this laptop since i can't make use of
> it. (SOny Vaio K13)

It seems that you have taken the path that most take to resolve your
issues with the wireless connection using XP. You may just want to
contact Tech Support for the laptop on *GP* just to make sure you have
covered all bases, before taking the laptop back.

I'll say that this is one reason I don't like to get a machine with an
integrated NIC wired or wireless on a machine, because you just cannot
swap the component out and replace it, if need be.

Duane :)

"Michael" <teknowene@excite.com> wrote in

> Actually, Majority of Laptops can have their wireless cards changed,
> replaced etc. The form factor is Mini PCI in mine. It is only people
> that do not understand the technology that assume you cannot change
> things. I would suggest a little more homework.

I understand wireless technology well enough. And I still wouldn't go with
a laptop that had it built in. I prefer to have a separate component in
this area and would seek it out instead of the other solution. But that's
just me.

Duane :)

I had a similar problem with a Netgear MR814 router and a Centrino based
laptop. The fix was to install the latest firmware for the router.

Cheers