Question Problem with laptop and storage

jorge_medion

Honorable
Jan 20, 2018
Hi,

I purchased my laptop a year ago, here the specs:

• CPU: Intel Core i7 10750H (2.6 GHz to 4.8 GHz, 6 cores, 12 MB cache)
  • RAM: 32 GB DDR4 @ 2933 MHz
  • GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070 Super mobile 8GB DDR6
  • Hard Drives: 500 GB SSD + 1 TB at 5400 rpm
Everything is perfect to play the games I want but storage is a problem because is only 500 GB SSD but the other 1 TB at 5400 rpm is very slow. I am afraid to fill the SSD with games that could severely affect performance of the OS and computer overall. I currently have 210 GB free in the SSD. What is the solution? Have only 10 games installed?

Hey there,

A 5400rpm drive! Uggghhh. I'd simply suggest getting a SATA SSD to replace the mechanical altogether. Throw it in the bin. Practically useless. Games on the slow HDD will take forever to load.

Which model laptop do you have? You could also potentially add another M2/NVME drive, which would be even faster than the standard SATA drives. Costs are very low.

For the SSD you can leave about 20% free to ensure it runs as expected.

jorge_medion

Honorable
Jan 20, 2018
Hey there,

A 5400rpm drive! Uggghhh. I'd simply suggest getting a SATA SSD to replace the mechanical altogether. Throw it in the bin. Practically useless. Games on the slow HDD will take forever to load.

Which model laptop do you have? You could also potentially add another M2/NVME drive, which would be even faster than the standard SATA drives. Costs are very low.

For the SSD you can leave about 20% free to ensure it runs as expected.

Laptop is MSI GE75 Raider 2020. I don´t know why someone would put a 5400 rpm drive on a gaming laptop...

Laptop is MSI GE75 Raider 2020. I don´t know why someone would put a 5400 rpm drive on a gaming laptop...

There are 3 versions of that laptop, but they mostly have the same storage: 17E9_v1.1_English.pdf (msi.com)

Your SSD drive is prob on the m2 -NVME socket. The HD is on the M2/SATA Socket.

You should look to get something like a Samsung 870 Evo, will be perfect for you.

Reactions: jorge_medion
Hi,

I purchased my laptop a year ago, here the specs:

• CPU: Intel Core i7 10750H (2.6 GHz to 4.8 GHz, 6 cores, 12 MB cache)
  • RAM: 32 GB DDR4 @ 2933 MHz
  • GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070 Super mobile 8GB DDR6
  • Hard Drives: 500 GB SSD + 1 TB at 5400 rpm
Everything is perfect to play the games I want but storage is a problem because is only 500 GB SSD but the other 1 TB at 5400 rpm is very slow. I am afraid to fill the SSD with games that could severely affect performance of the OS and computer overall. I currently have 210 GB free in the SSD. What is the solution? Have only 10 games installed?
To be sure you need to open the case and look.
I suspect you have a 2.5 hdd if that is true just swap it out for a 2.5 ssd.

jorge_medion

Honorable
Jan 20, 2018
Thank you for the answers. I have very few games because I am a very casual gamer and none of them goes beyond 30 gb. I have 4 or 5 total war games on SSD and then indie games with less than 3 gb on the HDD. I even have a turn based game which is struggling a bit on hdd while runs very well on ssd, sometimes I have microstutters on hdd. That means that I have to put most of the games on ssd drive and with barely 7 games I only have 230 gb free. To give you an example I had Rome Remastered on hdd, this one is about 45 gb and I checked fps, always above 60 fps but from time to time freezes for less than a second and continues, in ssd works smoothly, and of course in the hdd I have very long loading times. My experience with this 1 TB 5400 rpm is very bad, I only use mainly to store books on pdf.

How expensive is to replace this 1TB hdd with a SSD? For me is enough with 500 gb ssd, even 256 gb SSD is more useful for me than 1 TB hdd 5400 rpm. This is something I need some kind of technical service to do in a laptop?

Pextaxmx

Reputable
Jun 15, 2020
Thank you for the answers. I have very few games because I am a very casual gamer and none of them goes beyond 30 gb. I have 4 or 5 total war games on SSD and then indie games with less than 3 gb on the HDD. I even have a turn based game which is struggling a bit on hdd while runs very well on ssd, sometimes I have microstutters on hdd. That means that I have to put most of the games on ssd drive and with barely 7 games I only have 230 gb free. To give you an example I had Rome Remastered on hdd, this one is about 45 gb and I checked fps, always above 60 fps but from time to time freezes for less than a second and continues, in ssd works smoothly, and of course in the hdd I have very long loading times. My experience with this 1 TB 5400 rpm is very bad, I only use mainly to store books on pdf.

How expensive is to replace this 1TB hdd with a SSD? For me is enough with 500 gb ssd, even 256 gb SSD is more useful for me than 1 TB hdd 5400 rpm. This is something I need some kind of technical service to do in a laptop?
1 TB MX500 is 65.99 USD now (if you are in the US)
https://www.amazon.com/Crucial-MX500-NAND-SATA-Internal/dp/B078211KBB

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SRJZcsDMFk

(1) open the laptop bottom cover
(2) swap 2.5" drives
(3) initialize and format the new SSD
(4) re-download games or connect the HDD via USB adapter and copy all the files.