Question Problem with Laptop docking station and new monitor

abdomega

Reputable
Feb 5, 2016
I am currently working from home and I have an HP EliteBook 840 G5 (x64) with Intel UHD Graphics 620 docked to an HP UltraSlim Docking Station. The docking station has two outputs: 2xDP, 1xVGA. Max resolution supported by the dock is "Dual 2.5K @ 60Hz". The old monitor is a 29" LG 1080p ultrawide and the docking station drives it no problem.

The new monitor is an Acer XZ342CK-P 34" 3440x1440 ultrawide and the problem I'm having is intermittent display. What I mean is that it might work or it might not. I have multiple DP cables and I have tried both DP outputs to the DP input of the monitor and there is no display ("no input"). I have a DP to HDMI cable that I plugged into one of the HDMI ports of the monitor and it worked for a little bit but the display would either go black intermittently or would go off until a reboot.

I work for a relatively large corporation and don't have administrative access to this machine. I worked yesterday morning with tech support and they updated the BIOS, etc and all drivers for the laptop. After that and reboot the monitor was working fine all day. Now today it stopped working and I'm back on the old monitor.

I have confirmed that the monitor works fine with another computer (gaming laptop).

I'm at a loss and I'm not sure what to do. Do you think installing the specific drivers for this monitor will help? Could I have a hardware problem with the docking station? I'm not sure about that because it works with the old display.

Thanks

ASK THE COMMUNITY