Question Problem with laptop's power button.

Sep 18, 2021
I’ve got an MSI GS66 laptop that for the last week or so has been needing the power button pushed a few or sometimes more than a few times before powering on, It had been turning on this way with or without the mains adapter plugged in.

One weird issue I noticed is the power button flickers orange ever so slightly. Like you can barely see it at all and once in awhile I was able to get the power button to light up white or orange for just a split second but it has not turned on yet.

I've tried holding the power button , reinserting the ram, unplug battery and cmos. Bios reset button(there is also another button close by labeled cn2 that is on the MB but not accessible from the outside like the bios reset button(sw1)

anyone with experience in the same issue or helpful suggestions appreciated.
Thank you , Kiers~

mrmike16

Honorable
Mar 10, 2016
This sounds very similar to an issue I had with a Dell Studio 1558.
It seems to me that your power button has a bad connection with the motherboard. Probably on the button's end of the cable. If you are experienced or comfortable with opening laptops, I'd suggest checking that the I/O cable inside the laptop is in securely with no tears.
If it is ripped, you need to replace the I/O cable assembly.

itsduhhbzz

Commendable
Sep 21, 2021
The orange color is usually something designed for error handling. Dells and HP for example if a component goes bad in it like memory or the CPU it will give a different blink pattern such as a certain about of white and amber (or orange).

mrmike16

Honorable
Mar 10, 2016
The orange color is usually something designed for error handling. Dells and HP for example if a component goes bad in it like memory or the CPU it will give a different blink pattern such as a certain about of white and amber (or orange).
On the computers I have seen, the amber light usually means a low-powered state. But those were old computers, so I'd assume your information about it is more up-to-date.

According to this Reddit post - MSI GS66 Laptop - Orange Light, Possible dGPU Solution : MSILaptops (reddit.com) - The amber light on this laptop model is related to the dedicated NVIDIA GPU.

itsduhhbzz

Commendable
Sep 21, 2021
With it only happening sometimes, that's an indication that it is "going out" somewhere. Whether the hardware of the button itself or the battery or even something on the board, but with it happening sometimes and other times still booting but booting with issue is a sure indication something is going out on it. Just may need some narrowing down to eliminate possibilities to isolate what part is causing the root.

Hopefully this can help in some way.

Nov 28, 2021
Hi, I had a similar issue that my laptop randomly worked the power on button... I read somwhere that you need to upgrade your EC Firmware, I did it a couple of days ago and for awhile is working fine. I hope this helps. Regards