[SOLVED] Problem with M.2 NVMe SSD after updating ASUS BIOS

Jan 14, 2022
So I just got a new Ryzen 5 5600x yesterday and was so excited to get it installed that I didn't even think of the BIOS being outdated. Now after a few steps and an updated BIOS, my main boot drive, an M.2 SSD, isn't getting detected by the BIOS unless I had removed and reinstalled the SSD just before starting the PC.
Here's what I did in a nutshell, maybe someone can point out an error I made:

• Hastily removed old R5 2400g and put in the new R5 5600x, got a PC that wouldn't send a video signal to my monitor.
  • Figured out by some quick research (Which I should've done beforehand) that my mobo probably has an outdated BIOS version, which it did.
  • Downloaded latest BIOS for Asus prime b450m-a from a separate computer to a flash drive and installed it to my non-functioning PC. (Which I switched back to the old cpu to do.)
  • After I installed the new cpu again, I tried starting the pc, but nothing was happening
  • Well, one of three things did happen, but only after a significant amount of time. I'd like to note that it would boot almost instantaneously before I did any of this.
1. The screen would be stuck at the "Press del or f2 for uefi bios" for a little less than 5 minutes, and if I hadn't pressed either of those, a message would popup saying "insert boot device or select boot device"
2. If I do press del or f2, nothing will happen for 5 or more minutes, but eventually the BIOS pops up and I can go through the settings as normal, I think
3. I'm not exactly sure what I did to make this screen popup, but the screen shows a message recognizing that there is a new cpu installed, but TPM hasn't been updated or something like that, and there is a Y or N option, with Y saying it will reset TPM, or something like that. (Sorry I don't remember what it said exactly.) This screen popped up twice, which for the first time I hit N, and hit Y for the second occurrence, not really knowing what I was doing.
  • Through some more research, I found in the BIOS that the "OS type" in secure boot options was set to "Other OS" instead of "Windows UEFI mode", and switched it back to the UEFI mode.
  • Now back to where I am, the pc can boot windows properly, but only if I remove the SSD and reinstall it before attempting to boot.
  • If I turn the system off or restart/reset (OR WINDOWS FORCES AN UPDATE DOWN MY THROAT), the SSD goes undetectable again and won't boot, unless I remove it and reinstall it.
P.S. I do have an HDD hooked up via SATA, and it is recognized every time

Last edited:
Solution
So I just got a new Ryzen 5 5600x yesterday and was so excited to get it installed that I didn't even think of the BIOS being outdated. Now after a few steps and an updated BIOS, my main boot drive, an M.2 SSD, isn't getting detected by the BIOS unless I had removed and reinstalled the SSD just before starting the PC.

• Hastily removed old R5 2400g and put in the new R5 5600x, got a PC that wouldn't send a video signal to my monitor.
  • Figured out by some quick research (Which I should've done beforehand) that my mobo probably has an outdated BIOS version, which it did.
  • Downloaded latest BIOS for Asus prime b450m-a from a separate computer to a...

• Downloaded latest BIOS for Asus prime b450m-a from a separate computer to a flash drive and installed it to my non-functioning PC. (Which I switched back to the old cpu to do.)
  • After I installed the new cpu again, I tried starting the pc, but nothing was happening
  • Well, one of three things did happen, but only after a significant amount of time. I'd like to note that it would boot almost instantaneously before I did any of this.
1. The screen would be stuck at the "Press del or f2 for uefi bios" for a little less than 5 minutes, and if I hadn't pressed either of those, a message would popup saying "insert boot device or select boot device"
2. If I do press del or f2, nothing will happen for 5 or more minutes, but eventually the BIOS pops up and I can go through the settings as normal, I think
3. I'm not exactly sure what I did to make this screen popup, but the screen shows a message recognizing that there is a new cpu installed, but TPM hasn't been updated or something like that, and there is a Y or N option, with Y saying it will reset TPM, or something like that. (Sorry I don't remember what it said exactly.) This screen popped up twice, which for the first time I hit N, and hit Y for the second occurrence, not really knowing what I was doing.
  • Through some more research, I found in the BIOS that the "OS type" in secure boot options was set to "Other OS" instead of "Windows UEFI mode", and switched it back to the UEFI mode.
  • Now back to where I am, the pc can boot windows properly, but only if I remove the SSD and reinstall it before attempting to boot.
  • If I turn the system off or restart/reset (OR WINDOWS FORCES AN UPDATE DOWN MY THROAT), the SSD goes undetectable again and won't boot, unless I remove it and reinstall it.
P.S. I do have an HDD hooked up via SATA, and it is recognized every time
Try this step by step (read till end):
  • Use 2400G first
  • Make sure you're able to boot to windows in your pc
  • Disconnect from internet
  • Uninstall all gpu driver DDU (clean and do not restart).
  • Uninstall all the processors on device manager (should be 16 on yours, also when it asks for restart, click on no) like this:
    unknown.png

and the chipset software/driver in control panel, and shut down.

• Replace the CPU with 5600X, then go to bios again and update to the latest bios, load optimized settings, then save and exit.

• boot up to windows and install the latest Chipset driver, reboot and then connect to internet.

• Install the latest gpu driver.

*do this all offline until reboot after installing chipset driver, also you may reboot to bios after all of this to set the XMP (and previous settings you did). Download needed files (highlighted word) before doing step 1, do the step by orders.

• Run cmd as admin, then do chkdsk /x /f /r, after that do sfc /scannow

• And check windows update if there is any and install them (except in optional update).
  • Make sure the psu connected to the gpu is 1 pcie cable per 1 slot (use main cable, not the branches/split) like this:
    unknown.png

Reactions: Wertbe
Solution
Jan 14, 2022
Try this step by step (read till end):
  • Use 2400G first
  • Make sure you're able to boot to windows in your pc
  • Disconnect from internet
  • Uninstall all gpu driver DDU (clean and do not restart).
  • Uninstall all the processors on device manager (should be 16 on yours, also when it asks for restart, click on no) like this:
    unknown.png

and the chipset software/driver in control panel, and shut down.

• Replace the CPU with 5600X, then go to bios again and update to the latest bios, load optimized settings, then save and exit.

• boot up to windows and install the latest Chipset driver, reboot and then connect to internet.

• Install the latest gpu driver.

*do this all offline until reboot after installing chipset driver, also you may reboot to bios after all of this to set the XMP (and previous settings you did). Download needed files (highlighted word) before doing step 1, do the step by orders.

• Run cmd as admin, then do chkdsk /x /f /r, after that do sfc /scannow

• And check windows update if there is any and install them (except in optional update).
  • Make sure the psu connected to the gpu is 1 pcie cable per 1 slot (use main cable, not the branches/split) like this:
    unknown.png
Thanks for responding Koekiezz. I haven't quite had the time to do what you have said to do, with classes and work and all.
I was curious about something and read a little bit more on google. From what I could find, upgrading a cpu shouldn't really be an arduous task and be done in no time, and if the bios is outdated it shouldn't be a huge problem. Why is it that my computer is freaking out about this? Is it something with the new bios version and my m.2 ssd not liking each other?
Also, what does deleting the processors on device manager do? When I run device manager now, it shows data relating to the 5600x, not the 2400g, so why is the old cpu getting in the way?

Thanks for responding Koekiezz. I haven't quite had the time to do what you have said to do, with classes and work and all.
I was curious about something and read a little bit more on google. From what I could find, upgrading a cpu shouldn't really be an arduous task and be done in no time, and if the bios is outdated it shouldn't be a huge problem. Why is it that my computer is freaking out about this? Is it something with the new bios version and my m.2 ssd not liking each other?
Also, what does deleting the processors on device manager do? When I run device manager now, it shows data relating to the 5600x, not the 2400g, so why is the old cpu getting in the way?
Usually because it's a windows problem. Me and my friend already made this kind of guide from our discovery together. And that is why sometimes doing this guide is kind of "Cleaning the old dust" from windows side and firmware side. It does not occurs on amd, but also on intel, as much of my friends is having this kind of problem.. it wont gurantee to work, but it is worth the try. Have a big time to just wipe it out? Update the bios to the latest, load optimized, and clean install windows. After windows install is complete, install the chipset driver from amd website and install your gpu driver, then you are free to go :D