[SOLVED] Problem with making a small local network

FlashPoint1985

Reputable
Apr 27, 2017
Hi there

I have a problem with recognizing “my pc” to 4 other PCs in my local network.
Here is the schematic of my current network:

https://www.4shared.com/photo/tp0ymvrWee/DF28B320-6D9B-4343-869E-0960E9.html

I have 4 PCs connected to a dlink n150 router via its lan ports, they are all recognizable via lan.

“My PC” is few meters away from other PCs, and is connected to a modem which has 4 lan ports.

I wondered how can I connect other 4 PCs to my pc, so I used “internet port” on that n150 router & connected it to one of my modem lan ports.

Now internet is shared across all other 4 PCs, but “my pc” is not recognized to other 4 PCs & I can’t for example join other PCs for local game.

Is there any problem with my network or should I enable something in n150 router settings to make its “internet port” support lan?

Any help would be appreciated Thanks.

Solution
It should a switch in effect just adds more ports to the router.

The only issue would be if the device you are calling a modem is really only a modem. Since it seems the device you are calling a modem has mulitple lan port that means it is likely a modem/router and that will work fine.

If you had a simple modem a switch would technically work but since the ISP only gives you a single IP address only 1 device would actually function even though the lights would be on for all ports.

Tumeden

Honorable
Oct 15, 2016
With how your network is setup you have it segregated into two seperate networks.
If your modem has multiple LAN ports, then it likely doubles as a router as well.

There's a couple different options for a potential solution but not quite sure how you would do it if 4 PC's are a good distance away.

One solution in my opinion would be: rather then using the "internet" port on your Dlink, instead connect the Dlink to your Modem via Lan1 on both the modem and dlink router. After doing so you would need to disable automatic dhcp on your dlink router, and allow your modem to assign dhcp instead. If they're connected via LAN, then it would be considered one network and your modem would assign the IP's to all devices attached.

Doing so you would also have 1 of the 4 PC's disconnected, in which you would either have to connect it to one of the free slots on the modem, or find an alternate way to extend your network.

Furthermore if your modem doubles as a router, then a more ideal situation is to invest in a "network switch" which comes in many different sizes. It would solve a lot of the weird issues you could run into.

So why do you have the dlink router in the first place can you not just use a small switch.

The reason it does not work is the same reason people on the internet can not access your internal pc lan. When you plug into the wan port of the router everything on that side is considered internet.

It appears your real problem is you need 5 lan ports and you only have 4. The only way this is going to work is if the router has a bridge function that can convert the wan port into lan.

It maybe simpler to buy a 5 or 8 port switch. You can get 10/100/1000 for under $20 and 10/100 for under $10

unclebun

Honorable
Mar 28, 2014
The reason you're having trouble is because the N150 is a router, which isolates itself from "upstream" devices. This is by design, since otherwise everyone in your neighborhood would be on your home network via the link to the cable company network. The simplest way to deal with the issue would be to replace the N150 with an ethernet switch, which can be purchased for as little as $10 or $15.

That would make the cable company's router your network router. If you don't like the features of their router, and prefer to use the N150 as your router, connect the switch downstream of the N150 and don't connect any computers directly to the cable company's router.

FlashPoint1985

Reputable
Apr 27, 2017
Ok thanks everyone for help, @bill001g I will check if I can change my WAN to LAN on that router, if not worked, then I will buy a switch, but have a question, will my switch share internet from modem too? I mean if I connect one of switch lans to modem lan, will switch receive internet from modem & share it across 4 PCs too?

Tumeden

Honorable
Oct 15, 2016

yes it will. a switch in simple terms just expands your network via ethernet. If you have an internet connection through the 'LAN" port in your modem, then you would also have an internet connection through the 'switch' if connected to one of those lan ports.

It should a switch in effect just adds more ports to the router.

The only issue would be if the device you are calling a modem is really only a modem. Since it seems the device you are calling a modem has mulitple lan port that means it is likely a modem/router and that will work fine.

If you had a simple modem a switch would technically work but since the ISP only gives you a single IP address only 1 device would actually function even though the lights would be on for all ports.

Solution

FlashPoint1985

Reputable
Apr 27, 2017
Yes my modem has 4 lan ports, so I will buy a switch with at least 8 lan ports, connect one of switch lan ports to modem lan port & there we go! I have internet across my all 5 PCs & they are local network too so for example all 5 PCs can play a lan game, right? Thanks everyone

Tumeden

Honorable
Oct 15, 2016

Yup, exactly. Lan games should work wonderfully.

FlashPoint1985

Reputable
Apr 27, 2017
I’m still wondered about something, when I connect 1 of modem lan ports to 1 of router lan ports, the PC that is connected to other lan port of that router, doesn’t receive internet connection, isn’t that same configuration of a switch? So I fear even if I buy a switch & connect one of its lan ports to 1 of my modem lan ports, I don’t get internet to PCs that are connected to that switch. Am I right?!