Problem with Matrox G400 and Athlons?

G

Hi,

I'm having some problems getting my Matrox G400 working on my computer and I would appreciate some help =)

Basically, everything seems to work fine under Windows (I can switch resolutions, colour-depths etc.) but games don't work, not even Matrox's own tech demo included with the card.

It seems as if the programs can't properly initialize hardware acceleration, whether through DirectDraw HAL, Direct 3D, or OpenGL.

I was wondering whether this could be a problem with my processor (Athlon 500 mhz) or motherboard (Asus K7M).

Thanks in advance for any help =)

Peter

AEboy128

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2001
I have an athlon 500 too!!But have you tried the latest drivers for everything?? AGP, Ide controllers, etc. What OS are you using??

Im savin up for a Cobra!! Hehe!! :wink: :wink:

G

I have a G400 Dual Head originally made for the IBM desktops. It did not come with dual head, that I bought from Matrox. However, I have not had any problems with my G400. Check the motherboard FAQs or the updated manual for your specific motherboard to see what video cards are compatible. Some motherboards will not work with certain video cards. Example, I have not been able to get a Diamond Viper II Z200 to work with a Gigabyte GA-5AX motherboard. They are incompatable. Both of my current motherboards are compatible with the G400. I am running an Athlon 750 Thunderbird. Also you should try and re-install all versions of direct x that you have previosly installed on your system. I have noticed the same difficulties that you have with your G400 running direct x 8.0a both with the G400 and a GeForce2 GTS DDR. Microsoft is known for trashing up games with direct x problems.

Tahoma