Problem with microphone/headphone jack on my build

VinnyVincent

Honorable
Aug 5, 2017
Hello,
I built my computer last August and have just been using the HDMI audio since then.
Today I picked up a gaming headset and when I plug it in, it keeps flashing "unplugged audio device"/"plugged audio device in".
I tried reinstalling the driver and am now using the realtek driver that I downloaded from the MoBo manufacturers website, but it's still doing the same thing.
I tested the headset on my laptop and it works fine, so that's not the problem either.
I also tried different headsets and they all seem to be having the same problem. It just flashes "plugged in"/"unplugged" and I can't get any sound to play through them.

Could this be a software issue or is it likely that there's something wrong with my MoBo hardware?

VinnyVincent

Honorable
Aug 5, 2017
Hi Mike,
Yes I've tried that as well. I found a video that goes through all the realtek setting to troubleshoot and none of it worked. I even tried booting the computer up with Linux and am having the exact same issue. The "connected" keeps flashing on and off, so it's almost like there's some mechanical damage to the jack or sound card itself...kind like it's not getting a solid connection even though it feels solid. Both the microphone and speaker jack are doing the same thing.
Any Suggestions on how to repair? I'm unfortunately considering replacing the MoBo at this point :(.

VinnyVincent

Honorable
Aug 5, 2017
Thanks Mike, I think I do have the SPDIF out on my MB, but I'll probably go the USB route since they have them in stock at my local store that I frequent.
The HDMI also looks like a good option, but I need a microphone jack too and they don't seem to have one. The USB option should be perfect for me.