Question Problem with monitor or PC?

Oct 14, 2022
Starting in the last week or so my computer will randomly lose connection to my monitors and sometimes I get sound most times I don't. I've tried updating and reinstalling my GPU drivers and it still keeps doing it not sure whats wrong I just hope its not my GPU as I bought it like a month ago.

Please list your FULL hardware specifications?

CPU, motherboard, memory kit, power supply (Exact model and approximate age please), graphics card, monitor model (And age, plus what type of connection you are using), etc.

Please provide actual model numbers wherever possible. Saying "some 16gb memory kit" is not helpful.

Oct 14, 2022
CPU - Intel i7 8700. About 5 yrs.
Motherboard - Gigabyte Aorus z370. About 5 yrs.
RAM - Corsair dominator 32 GB 16 GB each. About 4 yrs
Power supply - Corsair RM850X. Pobably 4-5 years old
GPU - ASUS Strix rtx 3080 Also got this last month
Monitor - ASUS VG27AQL1A. Got this last month using displayport cord that came with. I'm also running it at 144hz refresh rate.
I hope this was helpful enough I can try to get more info if needed

So, before you do anything else, and keeping in mind that the cables that come with most displays are pretty cheaply made and usually are not great quality, I'd try either a different DP cable, different DP port on the card, an HDMI cable or all of the above.

The next thing I'd try is your old display if you still have it, to see if it has the same problem.

I'd also try completely removing the graphics card from the motherboard and connecting your display cable to the video output on the motherboard to see if it does the same thing when using the iGPU.

Oct 14, 2022
So, before you do anything else, and keeping in mind that the cables that come with most displays are pretty cheaply made and usually are not great quality, I'd try either a different DP cable, different DP port on the card, an HDMI cable or all of the above.

The next thing I'd try is your old display if you still have it, to see if it has the same problem.

I'd also try completely removing the graphics card from the motherboard and connecting your display cable to the video output on the motherboard to see if it does the same thing when using the iGPU.
Gotcha, I'll get a new cable first and try try the rest if it doesn't resolve.
Actually, I forgot to mention I'm running two monitors and they both go black and lose connection at the same time and I also lose all sound.

Last edited:
Does it happen when you have only one monitor connected? Have you gone through the Nvidia control panel and monitor menu settings at all? There are OFTEN seemingly irrelevant settings in there that can cause problems in certain situations.

You DO have this graphics card installed in the primary x16 slot, which is the one closest to the CPU, right? Have you tried a different slot to see if the problem is related to the primary x16 PCIe circuit?

WHICH Aorus Z370 board do you have?

What is the current motherboard BIOS version?