Problem with MSI GeForce GTX 1060 Aero ITX 3GB graphic cards.

dulph

Prominent
Nov 7, 2017
Here's the problem. I made a rig to mine ethereum, but idea was to serve me in general as a new computer.
So I have 3 identical graphics cards MSI GeForce GTX 1060 Aero ITX 3GB. The motherboard is Biostar TB250-BTC, the processor is Kaby Lake i5-7600K. 8GB RAM.
I installed windows 10, drivers for chip set, audio, LAN, graphics ... etc

Not all 3 graphics were plugged in at the same time, EVER. Only one was plugged in at a time.
After installation there were no major problems all worked out well, i played a high definition videos on youtube and the picture is great. Temperature of the graphics card is approx. 40 ° C, but when pass 52-53 ° C limit fan turns on and cools it below 50 ° C and then the fan is turning off. And that's all right.

However, after a while, I noticed that the image on youtube is bugging, a little bit, like when you are missing video codec or something, so the image is deformed. I take a look at the temperature of the graphics and I see that it has gone to over 90 ° C and the fan does not spin! You can not make him spinning whatever you do. So I turned off the computer and leave it for an hour so the graphics card cooled, and then I turned computer on only to conclude that the problem with youtube bugging persists even though the graphics card is no longer hot. I thought I might have burned the card, so I pug it off and try the other graphics cards, but the problem with youtube bugging remains. I reinstalled windows 10 again, installed all the drivers, I tried plugging in graphics cards, one at a time, and what ever graphics card is plugged in problem remains and this video bugs were sometimes so intense that it occasionally paralyse the computer and I have to restart it.

After that I haven't touched anything for a month, and then I decided to try again. I installed windows 10 (bit older version this time) . I Installed drivers for motherboard and graphics card. Again everything looked OK with the graphics running at 35-45 ° C typically, while when it occasionally pass over 53 ° C the fan turns on and cool it below 50 ° C and then fan turns off.
I tested it a couple of minutes playing HD videos on youtube and everything was quite good, there was no splitting image, no bugs. I try all three graphics cards (one at a time) and all three work solidly including one that was once overheated.

So I started to install other software I use, surfing on youtube while waiting installations to comlete. And at one moment I noticed the bugs and errors in video. I take a look at Speccy to see what is temp of graphics card and it was over 70 ° C and the fan will not play again. I shut down every program that was on, I waited a bit to see if the fan will turn on. Then I touched heatsink and it was only then the fan turns on and started spinning like crazy and temperature drops below 50° C in 15 seconds. But video bugs remain. And what is even more interesting, the video is bugging when I plug in and run another graphics card.

Does anyone have similar issues? Does anyone have idea what could be a problem and, of course, a solution?

I have to stress that I did not try to do anything that was more demanding for a graphics card, like games or something. I just played youtube videos.

Solution
If the issue is about the GPU temps and fan not spinning, it can be easily fixed.

Please download MSI Afterburner. Install it. Click on settings. Go to the tab that says"fan". Check the box to enable fan control. You will now see a graph like thing. Set the custom fan profile to spin the fan as soon as the temps hit 50. Keep increasing the curve till 80. On the main MSI Afterburner screen, you will see a temperature limit. Set it to about 83 (which is usually what your graphics card should not breach as per nVidia).

After you do this, and if the issue still persists, we will go further.

hellraiser06

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2006
If the issue is about the GPU temps and fan not spinning, it can be easily fixed.

Please download MSI Afterburner. Install it. Click on settings. Go to the tab that says"fan". Check the box to enable fan control. You will now see a graph like thing. Set the custom fan profile to spin the fan as soon as the temps hit 50. Keep increasing the curve till 80. On the main MSI Afterburner screen, you will see a temperature limit. Set it to about 83 (which is usually what your graphics card should not breach as per nVidia).

After you do this, and if the issue still persists, we will go further.

Solution