[SOLVED] Problem with MSI On-Board PIDE/SATA Drivers on a MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MOBO

Feb 10, 2019
Hi everyone,

I'm in trouble...

I recently build a new pc, and loaded it up with Windows 10 on a 120gb normal SSD (i have to other drives as well 1tb HDD and 250 m2 SSD)

everything was good but I wanted to do a fresh install of windows again on the 120 GB SSD, in order to get another version of windows. At this point, I had already downloaded some games to the 250gb m2 SSD.

Everything worked fine with the fresh install, and I wanted to install the drivers again. I installed the chipset drivers and then wanted to install the On-Board PIDE/SATA Drivers for the motherboard.

Before I did, it warned me to back up my NVMe drive and switch to RAID mode. I, stupid as I was, only backed up the drive and proceeded to install. It installed and I restarted my PC and it installed a new program, RAIDexpert2. I also discovered that I couldn't access my m2 SSD anymore (even though it was shown in the BIOS). I tried to uninstall the program, but that did not work.

Then I researched on how to switch to RAID mode in the BIOS thinking it would solve the problem, it did not...

That just broke windows, so I switched back to AHCI, and now it works again. but still no m2 SSD.

I thought I had to download that stupid driver, and now my new Samsung 970 Evo 250gb SSD is gone. I can see it in the BIOS perfectly fine, but windows can't find it.

I am in way over my head, and I just hope that someone in here knows what I have done, and what I have to do to get my m2 SSD back.

Thank you in advance

Solution

If MiniTool doesn't recognize the disk then I'm not at all confident Windows' Install will identify and install on it either.

One thing to do is make sure you are in CSM boot mode in BIOS...that is, secure boot is disabled and it is NOT in Windows10 WHQL mode. If that can't get it recognized then maybe going to a Storage forum where people with a lot more experience dealing with strange issues related to a failed RAID installation...
Feb 10, 2019

Thank you very much for your answer. Unfortunately, it does not seem to work.
When I type "list disk" it only shows me the two disks that are not the m2 ssd i want to clean..

That is odd...i've never had a situation that DiskPart did not LIST any disk in the system that BIOS identified.

Hopefully someone else has suggestions...but I'd try a few things in the mean time. One is starting in SAFE mode, command prompt, to do the DiskPart commands (if you're not already). Another is remove the m.2, restart then shut down and re-install it.

And, are you CERTAIN you used ONLY B450 chipset drivers? and have fully uninstalled any Raid drivers and utilities that were installed before?

EDIT ADD: and one other thing to try... remove the disks that you CAN see, which of course removing the SSD with Windows you're currently able to boot to. Now, with a Windows10 install package on a USB stick drive start up an installation to the M.2 drive....if it 'sees' the M.2, let it fully install and set up a clean Win10 installation.

Then re-connect the other drives. You'll need to set up a dual-boot configuration if you want to access each windows 10 instance separately.

Feb 10, 2019

I have now tried to do diskpart in safe mode with command prompt, it still did not show up there.
Then I tried to remove the m2 SSD, restart, install the m2 SSD, and restart. It still did not show up

I don't know about that whole install windows on it, I only want windows on the SSD where I have it now.
If I was able to install windows on the m2 SSD when having only that connected and booting from a USB stick, wouldn't I also be able to access diskpart in that installation process and possibly see it?
If I were to install windows on it, would I then be able to clean it afterward, and use it as before?

Ahhh..i see...you want the m.2 as a data drive only.

The reason to try installing Windows on it is mainly to let the Windows install process fix up the partitioning tables on the M.2, if it can, since you can't seem to get DiskPart to see it to do so. You definitely can delete Windows from it afterwards, but you'll have to do it from the installation on the SSD. But...you might try to do something else first...

Go get a tool called MiniTool Partition Wizard. You can get a free version with license limited to home use. It will let you examine partitioning scheme of any disk in the system hopefully even repair it. It's easy to use and even has some tutorials.

Feb 10, 2019

The MiniTool Partition Wizard does not detect the drive either. :(
I will try the windows install tomorrow, hopefully, I am able to figure something out with that.
I just wished there was an easier way to fully "reset" (in lack of better word) the SSD.

Thank you very much for your inputs :)

If MiniTool doesn't recognize the disk then I'm not at all confident Windows' Install will identify and install on it either.

One thing to do is make sure you are in CSM boot mode in BIOS...that is, secure boot is disabled and it is NOT in Windows10 WHQL mode. If that can't get it recognized then maybe going to a Storage forum where people with a lot more experience dealing with strange issues related to a failed RAID installation might have more suggestions.

Good Luck...

Solution