[SOLVED] Problem with My 1 TB HDD

lostyraul

Honorable
Jan 14, 2015
Okay. i will start with first things first.
HDD --------SATA-- Seagate Baracuda 7200 ST31000524AS

So the problem began when the computer all of a sudden stopped booting up. The BIOS shows n recognizes the HDD but would not boot up.
Here are some of the steps that I have tried n performed already

1. Booting directly thru the HDD.
Result--did not boot.

2. connected to second computer via SATA cable. (BOOT on this computer is thru M2 SSD. )
Result
BIOS shows HDD but computer stuck on loading screen forever.

3. Connected to computer thru an external SATA to USB 3.0 cable with external power.
Result
Computer detects G: n H: for sometime( picture attached) and tries to read but after a few minutes gives an error and then the drives disappear .
https://ibb.co/yPcDSjR

4. Used Partition Wizard application however it does the same which is tries to load up the drive for some time but then gives up.

Basically I did all I could do what I could have thought for.

Im here as I find this is my last resort. Im open to all kind of suggestions and procedures. I'm in Darjeeling, India basically where i cannot find a good and reliable HDD recovery
technician at my geo location. Nearest city where i can get it done is almost 530+ kilometres.

So please huys help me out if you can.

Thank yu

Tanmay.

Solution
If you insist on doing this job yourself, then you need to purchase a USB-TTL adapter and examine the output from the drive's terminal port. Do not issue the commands that you will find on the Internet -- those commands apply to the 7200.11 models, whereas yours is a 7200.12.

Instead you will need to issue the commands in this thread:

ZOC Scripts - Seagate F3 Arch - Set Mode Page Parameters :
http://www.hddoracle.com/viewtopic.php?f=113&t=1867

You will need a terminal program (ZOC) to do this.

These commands stabilise the drive by disabling certain parameters in the firmware. You should clone the drive with HDDSuperClone. HDDSuperClone (and ddrescue) understands how to deal with bad sectors and bad media. Be prepared for the...
1. Your USB to sata adapter may be faulty.

2. You might be able to connect HDD after windows is loaded. For this to work, Hot Plug feature has to be turned on - on sata port, where drive is connected (this can be done in BIOS).
shutdown pc;​
connect power cable to hdd first;​
boot into BIOS and enable Hot Plug on sata port (by default it is disabled);​
start pc;​
after windows has loaded, connect sata data cable.​
Diagnose hdd. Use HDtune health, post screenshot.
(upload to imgur.com and post link)

Anyway - your HDD might be irrecoverably damaged. Only professional data recovery services can help you then.

Reactions: lostyraul

lostyraul

Honorable
Jan 14, 2015
1. Your USB to sata adapter may be faulty.

2. You might be able to connect HDD after windows is loaded. For this to work, Hot Plug feature has to be turned on - on sata port, where drive is connected (this can be done in BIOS).
shutdown pc;​
connect power cable to hdd first;​
boot into BIOS and enable Hot Plug on sata port (by default it is disabled);​
start pc;​
after windows has loaded, connect sata data cable.​
Diagnose hdd. Use HDtune health, post screenshot.
(upload to imgur.com and post link)

Anyway - your HDD might be irrecoverably damaged. Only professional data recovery services can help you then.
OKay i will try doing these steps.

lostyraul

Honorable
Jan 14, 2015
So after following your told steps.
The OS still dint boot directly from the HDD. However when i booted from my SSD (HDD connected directly to motherboard thru SATA.) Boot Priority 1 SATA 2 HDD.

The screen showed wait while G: is being scanned and fixed. after almost 8-10 mins it booted to my windows ( SSD) and the HDD is showing. I have attached 3 screenshots. Can you figure out the problem?

T2Zb6fr.jpg

gr7odyz.jpg

xvRq8Zs.jpg

Hope yu can find a solution.

If you insist on doing this job yourself, then you need to purchase a USB-TTL adapter and examine the output from the drive's terminal port. Do not issue the commands that you will find on the Internet -- those commands apply to the 7200.11 models, whereas yours is a 7200.12.

These commands stabilise the drive by disabling certain parameters in the firmware. You should clone the drive with HDDSuperClone. HDDSuperClone (and ddrescue) understands how to deal with bad sectors and bad media. Be prepared for the drive to fail completely during cloning.

Reactions: lostyraul
Solution

lostyraul

Honorable
Jan 14, 2015

These commands stabilise the drive by disabling certain parameters in the firmware. You should clone the drive with HDDSuperClone. HDDSuperClone (and ddrescue) understands how to deal with bad sectors and bad media. Be prepared for the drive to fail completely during cloning.

Do yu mean i have to buy this https://cutt.ly/nkrzHv8 . If yes then let me know please/ I will purchase it and try.