Problem with my BIOS in my ASUS Laptop, Reflash possible?

Tordur

Honorable
Dec 13, 2012
Hello, people this is my first post on here.
I'm having a very strange problem, I got a laptop from my brother where the harddisk wasn't working. So I thought I could replace it with my original hard disk in my older laptop, same form factor etc. I uninstalled the drivers from my old laptop and reinstalled the correct drivers for my new laptop. I ended up re installing windows without any luck at all, and now I'm running Ubuntu Linux.
The Laptop is ASUS K53SV

The real problem I've discovered is that the bios on my ASUS K53SV motherboard isn't the right one, the BIOS installed is a K53SJ version. Which I at first thought wasn't the problem until I learned that the SJ Model isn't using the same GPU and I think it's a different CPU but I'm not sure, it's an Intel I5 Sandy bridge.

My question is, would it be possible to reflash the BIOS to the correct model (K53SV), and I've already tried to do it with EZFlash and WinFlash, but without luck though.. Is there any way to flash the BIOS to the stock model BIOS?

I haven't done anything to the computer other than updating to the latest version of the already installed BIOS but without luck.. I have searched and searched but couldn't find anything useful out there on the internet.

cl-scott

Honorable
There are ways, but they would be warranty voiding, at your own risk type things, so I can't really tell you about them.

That said, I find it kind of impressive someone managed to force the wrong BIOS on that unit. Are you sure maybe someone didn't just swap the motherboards at some point?

Anyway, the only official method for dealing with this would be to send it in for an RMA, and it wouldn't surprise me at all if the forcing of a different BIOS onto the unit would void the warranty and result in a nasty CID (Customer Induced Damage) fee being assessed.

Tordur

Honorable
Dec 13, 2012

Thank you, I won't do that it seems risky.

I'm pretty sure that my brother hasn't swapped the motherboard.

But he had it sent in for repairs once, and then he killed the hard drive, and I replaced it with my own.

Do you think that I'll be able to get it repaired at ASUS when I've swapped the hard drive?

cl-scott

Honorable

I really am not sure to be honest with you. My job centers more around trying to sort out issues with repairs already ongoing and I also take a crack at trying to troubleshoot issues when I can, but your question is a bit out of my expertise. You can certainly try sending it in, but any answer I gave you as to what would happen would just be a guess, so probably better I not even try.

If the unit was repaired at one of our facilities, and for whatever reason they stuck in the wrong motherboard, then you should be fine, but you may want to ask your brother if there's anything he may have neglected to tell you about the unit first.