Problem with my cpu temperature

cooler_power

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2006
I used "hardware sensors monitor" software and the temp values was:

motherboard: 28C
CPU1: 75C
CPU2: 35C

what the hell is cpu1 and cpu2?? i only have one pentium4 2GHz Northwood with the original heatsink and fan

anyone who have any idea please reply..

thanks in advance

HYST3R

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2006
sounds like one of your sensors is labeled wrong, and is prob reading your video card or something else.

but some more information would help. what are your system specs?

bill_bright

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2004
I used "hardware sensors monitor" software and the temp values was:

motherboard: 28C
CPU1: 75C
CPU2: 35C

what the hell is cpu1 and cpu2?? i only have one pentium4 2GHz Northwood with the original heatsink and fan

anyone who have any idea please reply..

thanks in advance
I would try a different monitor then. I like Motherboard Monitor - some folks like SpeedFan. These two monitoring programs will only register the HT as a single core.

How sure are you that you have a P4 2GHz - and not possibly a faster P4 Northwood that has Hyperthreading (HT)? P4HT processors are "virtual" dual core - which do show up as 2 CPUs. If you go to Device Manager, click on Processors, how many are listed and what does it show?

cooler_power

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2006
my computer specs are:

mobo: ecs p4s5a/dx+
cpu: intel p4 2GHz Northwood
ram: kingston ddr-sdram 512mb
grpahics card: asus radeon 9600xt/td
etc... i don't have any case fans

I would like to know if the temps of cpu are ok or if they are too high

bill_bright

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2004
I suspect that's internal and external CPU temperatures. My P4 displays about 40C external and 70C internal.
What? I am afraid this does not make sense to me. The internal would be the CPUs diode sensor. The external you refer to is what? Most likely a sensor on the socket. It would not register as CPU1 and CPU2.

If you have a sensor on your CPU and it is reading 70, I would be concerned - and with many CPUs, I would be near panic. I think this is his monitoring program is not labeling the sensors properly.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Oooph... open the case up and put a fan on it. Just a regular house fan, and get some air moving around.

If the CPU1 goes down, then you know your looking at the right temp.

bill_bright

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2004
i don't have any case fans
8O 8O 8O

Living in the edge, aren't you? You need to get case fans in there now, or do as Grimmy said and start blasting in a desk fan. Heat is the bane of all electronics. If you have no way to exhaust heat build up from the case, your system, and maybe more importantly, your data is at risk. Remember that most materials expand when they heat up. Espanded conductive materials offer less resistance. Ohm's Law says that when resistence goes down, current goes up. That is not good!

I am surprised you are not complaining about your system having random reboots, crashes, or freezes. I strongly recommend you add at least two case fans, one in front drawing cool air in, and one in the rear exhausting the heat out. If your case supports larger fans than the standard 80mm case fan, use them. 120mm fans are the way to go - they move massive amounts of air, but at a lower RPM - therefore they are typically much quieter. Do NOT rely solely on the power supply fan - it's primary responsibility is to exhaust heat from the PS.

luminaris

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
Either you have no real air movement in your case or, the software your using isn't compatible with the board your using. Something is wrong I would say.

cisco

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2004
First thing I would check is dust. Either in the heatsink or the vents going into the case. That is usually about 80% or more of your heat problems.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Thats bacially what I was thinking.

The software needs to be compatiable with the MB chipset, to label the correct sensors to the temp, for us to understand.

But... CPU temps will react accordingly. If you get cool air on the HSF, there should be a reaction, within less then a min, I'm assuming.

Doesn't take long for my CPU temps to change when I take a load off it. :wink:

bill_bright

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2004
First thing I would check is dust. Either in the heatsink or the vents going into the case. That is usually about 80% or more of your heat problems.
No - he has NO case fans - Shut the PC down - that's first. Or get a desk fan blasting now. Then clean it out, and keep it clean. Note that all the dust does is "trap" the heat or block air flow so I think 80% is pretty high - but that does not take away the importance of keeping the system clean of dust - as WITHOUT A DOUBT, a dirty PC runs hotter than a clean one and a dirty PC can cause a PC to overheat.

@C_P - Note according the Intel Thermal Specs for this processor (page 79) states the max case (that's the CPU die's case - not the PC case) is 76°C. You are playing with the thermal limits of the CPU. Also note that as a repair guy, I have seen CPUs fry - be warned that a burning hot CPU can literally melt and deform the socket and burn and deform the motherboard underneath - destroying the motherboard!

As far as software, many motherboard makers include a monitoring program with their motherboards. It is usually buried on the motherboard utilities disk and you have to look for it. Or check the motherboard maker's website for a current version.

Also, you might get an idea as to the correct temp by checking temps with your monitoring program, then quickly boot into the BIOS menu, navigate to PC Health and check temps there. They will be lower than your previous readings by 5 or so degrees because temps go down immediatly during shutdown and when the CPU is idle - or near idle as in the BIOS menu - that's why you have to be quick.

bill_bright

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2004
Well, certainly if it is dirty, cleaning it is a must do thing. I do not recommend pulling it - unless you think there is no thermal paste to begin with. The more you handle a CPU the greater the risk of ESD damage, or bending a pin.

I use a soft paint brush and vacuum cleaner to clean out the insides of my cases. I also use an air compressor for optimum cleaning - but that requires lugging the PC outside. Don't use compressed air inside - it just blows all the dust back into to the room, ready to be sucked back into the PC.

I still strongly recommend you get, at the very least, one case fan to install in the rear of the case - you can get cheap ones for around $5. More expensive fans do not cool better, they are just quieter and tend to last longer - you have to make sure the fan comes with mounting screws - fan screws are quite unique and not something you would normally have in an old coffee can somewhere.