Problem with my DVD-writer under Windows 7 (with Nero 9)

Status
Not open for further replies.

intermediate-user

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2009
Can anybody help me with this strange problem?

I have a desktop:
Core 2 Duo E6550
Biostar Motherboard
4 GB RAM

Am running Windows 7 RC, 32 bit, Build 7100

Before this I had used Vista.

My problem is with my DVD-writer. When I first switched to Windows 7, there was no problem. But after a while, I can't write anything anymore.
I'm using Nero 9, to exact, version 9.0.6.0
My DVD writer is a Samsung SH-S223F

The problem gets progressively worse:
First, the burning would not finish, and somewhere in the middle of burning, it'll send out an error. This happens for a week or two. At first I thought my blank CDs are bad. But then, they'd work on another computer with another writer.
Then, it wouldn't burn at all, and whenever I try to burn something, it'll freeze my computer. Only a reset will work then.
Since I have another computer, I burn things from the other computer, but the problem gets worse. Finally, it wouldn't even read any CD or DVD, and will freeze my computer whenever I put any CD or DVD into it.
I thought this is a hardware problem. I changed my SATA cables. That doesn't solve anything.
After trying this a few times, and always having to reset my computer as a result, it comes to a point where my computer wouldn't even start windows. I have to unplug my DVD writer from the motherboard, and after that no problem at all with starting Windows or any other application.

So, I went to my vendor, and traded my Samsung DVD with an identical drive, thinking that I had bought a defective drive. But much to my dismay, my new Samsung SH-S223F still would not work, and still freezes my computer.

I then did an experiment. In my other burning computer, I am using an LG DVD-writer. I exchanged my Samsung with my LG. That computer is running Vista (also Nero 9).

Wonder of wonders: my Samsung drive works perfectly in that Vista machine.

My LG drive also works in my Windows 7! For a while that is!
I burned a few DVDs, thinking the problem is solved (thinking that Windows 7 might have driver problems with the Samsung drive).

However, yesterday, I wanted to burn a CD, when suddenly my computer freezes again. I have to reset the computer. I tried to put a CD to my optical drive to test it, and it freezes also. After a few times rebooting, Windows 7 wouldn't start, so I again unplug my DVD drive from my motherboard. And the result was instantaneous. Windows loaded without problem, everything else is fine. Of course I don't have a DVD drive now.

So, I'm scratching my head now... What is wrong? It can't be hardware, since I already tried two different drives.

I'm thinking it could be incompatibility issues between Nero 9 and Windows 7. I haven't gotten around to trying burning with other software. I've always used Nero all these times. But it doesn't make sense to me. If Nero is bad, then why would it make my drive be unable to read also? Or have problem starting Windows?

If anyone has a similar problem and has a solution, it'll be greatly appreciated.

annacleg

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009
I have the same problem. I have a HP Pavilion laptop, and my internal DVD writer can read DVD's but will not write any DVD's or CD's anymore. (at first it could write after a few tries. I usually wasted 3 to 5 cd/s in order to create 1!! Please help with the solution!!

annacleg

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009
Windows 7. With Nero 9.
The DVD can read, but cannot write anymore. Could write with errors just after installation of the new O.S. Now it reports to be writing, but there is nothing on the CD. The job never finishes. Yes, it is not the brand. Did try different brands of dvd and cd.. It is also not the hardware (DVD writer), because it reads ok.

tricoi

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2009
I have the same problem. Samsung model SH-S203D on Windows 7 Build 7600 and Nero 9

I tried both Roxio and Nero, and lost about 20 dvd-r discs. But everything's ok with PowerISO.

The problem only happen with DVD-R. Nero and Roxio work well on my system if I use DVDRW or any type of CD.

Guess firmware problem, but after download the latest firmware for this model from manufacture's site and run update Windows, Nero..., nothing improved

Any suggestion?

tricoi

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2009
Nero v9.4.13.2c download from Nero's site
ODD SH-203D firmware version SB01

Tested on Windows XP, Vista and 7 both 32 and 64-bit. Nero always report Illegal disc (I used Verbatim and some other cheap brands but the same issue)

I've just replaced it by another drive from Pioneer and it works well. But question has no clearly answer is: What the heck happened with Samsung's drive?

G

I have been facing similar issues and banging my head against a wall since last few days without any luck and wasting my freaking (in)valuable time...

here's my scenario - new Dell StudioXPS 1640 64bit (just one week old). Upgraded vista 64 to Windows 7 64 Ultimate. Tried with Roxio, Nero and the native Windows DVD burner software using DVD+RW and DVD+R formats - Sometimes the data is burned fine and othertimes data is burned but the DVD drive doesnt reading the data - the drive makes some noise of spinning as if it's reading and shows no data but shows amount of space occupied and free correctly. I've updated the TSST...DVD drives latest drives from Dell's site, which didnt help - tried deleting the filters (upper and lower), as suggested on many forums - disabled the drivers certification signing with DOS command, etc. - Nothing seems to work. Initially, I thougth the new DVD+RW has gone bad and tried with DVD+R. It's the same, nothing changed. I'm thinking it certainly must be the windows software...any thoughts from anyone who has successfully resolved this issue???

G

It looks like it doesn't depend on cd/dvd burning program. I didn't install any, but included into Windows 7 package (7600). I have BenQ cd/dvd RW DL drive. System is able to recognize it but can't read cd/dvd's. I haven't try to wright anything.

I've found advice to disable the drivers integrity check: Run: bcdedit /set loadoptions DDISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS. Doesn't work for me.

Also I've attempted to follow the advice to delete Upper and LowerFilters in Run: regedit - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}. I haven't found Upper and LowerFilter out here.

So, the cd/dvd RW drive in Windows 7 7600 x64 Ult couldn't be used.

Any ideas how to fix it?

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006

Really odd to me since I use Nero every day on 7 and it works flawlessly (well except that one DVD with multiple Linux images on it... but thats a different topic and it did boot to my menu just nothing worked lol)

I see the OP is using 9.0.6 download the new version?

I think the latest is like 9.4 or something (its what I am on anyway)

G

Has anyone figure it out? After I upgraded to Windows 7 I cannot read DVDs. I was able to write Win7 RC to a DVD but then that same DVD won't be readable by the Win7 box, but it plays perfectly fine on WinXP.
I just brought a couple of DVDs (movies) and my drive still not able to read them. However, it can read regular CDs without any problem.
So, I don't believe is a hardware issue. I really believe it has something to do with drivers or codecs not available in Windows 7. Any ideas?

dblml320

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2009
I have been trying to use Nero 9 with my Blu-Ray Burner on Windows 7 Home Premium x64. The only thing Nero is burning for me the latest Nero release (9.4.26) are COASTERS.

I tried ImgBurn with the same data, and it burns flawlessly to by LG Blu Ray burner. ImgBurn is Freeware.

I am not going back to Nero until I read on forums like this that they have fixed their problems... Anytime I approach there support, it always starts out with I did something wrong, or I need to debug their problem, before they believe they have a problem.

raman00

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
I also have been trying to read my dvds but somehow i am not able to read them. The drive keeps on spinning. Although the same DVDs are reading in different pc with windows xp. I dont know why this is happening. I have Nero 9 installed. Any help

kenm

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009
I have also had the same problem except mine tell me they have been created succesfully. Then I put them in the dvd player and it tells me they are the wrong region for my player and yes I set the player and burner regions to my region or 1. Can anyone help? I am running Windows 7 with a duo core processor with 4g mem

Status
Not open for further replies.