Question Problem with my GPU or.............

Nov 3, 2019
i7 6700k
asus z270-a
Corsair H100i Hydro PRO RGB Liquid CPU Cooler
HyperX HX426C16FB2K2/16 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) 2666 MHz
Gigabyte Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070 TI Gaming 8GB --- USED-- bought Jan 2019
EVGA 850 GQ, 80+ GOLD 850W, Semi Modular
Win 10 PRO

At the beginning of August 2019 my Corsair H100i died, it always ran next to silent. I replaced it with a H100i Hydro PRO and from the word go it made noise, what I think/thought all the while was some air in the system as it got quieter as time went on.

I had it in the top of my case for most of the time but recently I moved it to the front of the pc case in a vertical position. The air bubble sound has gone almost completely.... or so I thought.

Now when I play a video game that makes the used 1070ti go anything above 40c the water cooler buzzes, I would say like a coil whine and whilst not extremely loud, it is definitely noticeable. The AIO water cooler RPM is fixed in Corsair link.
All I have played for months is WoW with gpu temps at around 35-38c and cpu temps 28-31c, no whine or buzz from the water cooler.

Now....last night I played a game called DayZ and suddenly I get the whine / buzz.
DayZ Temps for cpu 30-34c and GPU starts the game at 49c rises up to 58c. The moment I start DayZ and the GPU temp goes above 40c the AIO buzzes. What the F.....

Today I swapped out the 1070ti and put my old MSI 980 in and the AIO H100i PRO buzz is gone when I play DayZ. I still hear a little bit if I listen closely when the PC is idle but I have to lean close to hear it.

So, I am not really good with computer stuff. I have no idea if it is a faulty USED 1070ti or the new Corsair h100i pro. Maybe all the parts are fine but one just doesn't like the other lol....or this or that..... I have no idea tbh and I would rather not try to buy myself out of this one if I can help it.

I understand the info I have provided is likely unhelpful but a little feedback to make me begin to understand would be helpful.

I was just about to post this and the AIO radiator(not the pump) made a medium volume tap/bang sound, no component is meant to make such noises right? ;)

Hey there,

Well, you've actually provided quite a bit of relevant information there, so good job.

Coil whine is often associated, with PSU/GPU issues. The fact that it's not prominent with the 980, but perhaps still there makes me think it's the PSU.

Although the GQ is a pretty decent PSU ( I have it's little brother - the 650w) it's possible it's having issues, or is starting to die. How old is it?

If you can get another PSU to swap out and test with that would be great. Or maybe bring to a local repair shop and pay about $20 to get them to test with one of there own. Make sure to bring both GPU's with you, so they can swap them out too. It could be the 1070ti.

But as I said, i'd be leaning towards the PSU, even though it's a good one.

Nov 3, 2019
OK so I have just put in a tired xfx 650w bronze PSU.

With the gtx 980 I tried both WoW and DayZ. No buzz at all, a bit of the usual AIO gurgling but barely audible.

Swapped over to the 1070TI and the buzz has returned with DayZ.

Now going to put the newer PSU back in.

Had to be tried I suppose.

sigh ;)

edit: The buzz now happening with the gtx 980, I turned pc off and went out for a motorcycle ride or else the computer would have become one with a wall.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2019
Right, so I went out of the house for a few hours and straight to the PC when I got back. With in the first 5 mins I get one like knock sound and moments later another. It has happened before but it is so random that I am never quite close enough to the PC to know exactly where it comes from. I was quite convinced that It was the radiator, perhaps some trapped air being released.... or something like that.

I have bought a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO which will arrive tomorrow hopefully. If I get the knock sound then perhaps you are right that it is a PSU thing Keith, kinda thinking you are. Anyway, the air cooler is cheap enough and can be kept as a back up if water cooler dies completely.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2019
I contacted EVGA with exactly what I have written here. Answer from EVGA support was.

.......................................................................................................................................................................................................

Hi,

Thank you for contacting EVGA Support.
Most likely the Noise is coming from the pump of the Hybrid pump.

Regards
EVGA

....................................................................................................................................................................................................

The Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO will hopefully arrive in a couple of hours. Attach that, no working parts other than the fan and see if it is the GPU that taps/knocks when idle, under load or cooling down. I dont think it is the GPU and was thinking the PSU but now the EVGA guys saying it is the pump ... sigh. Ive got my rolled up magazine at the ready to listen to GPU or PSU lol

Sorry for the monologue. Hopefully this will be sorted soon.

Nov 3, 2019
OK the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO now in the PC. The 1070ti is fine no knock sounds during high temp game play or as it cools down.

It still all seems rather strange to me. I can stand a bit of coil whine but the knocks/taps really do bother me.

The h100i pro is going on ebay, honestly saying what I have experienced with it. I will either stick with air cooling or maybe try an Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240., I hear good things about that cooler.

Oops I'm guilty of throwing money at this when I said I would not.