Problem with my HD5770

ozric42

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
Hi guys I'm having a problem with my computer which I'm really hoping you can help me out with.

My computer stopped working out of the blue last week, it would show the motherboards startup screen but then just go black, couldn't even access safe mode. After quite a few unsucsessful attempts to fix it with the windows disk I had to format the hard drive and then re-install windows. Alas.
The install went fine but when I ran the driver CD I got with my graphics card. It installed the drivers fine and had to do a reboot, but when it rebooted it got past the screen that says "starting windows" but then a image of the generic windows 7 background came up and the computer just froze. I tried to reinstall the drivers but the same thing happened, so I formatted the hard drive, reinstalled windows again but this time downloaded the latest drivers from the website. Same thing happened. I even tried it again and installed the ver 9.12 drivers but it still crashes every time.
I don't think it's windows because the computer runs fine on the standard VGA adaptor. I'm really stuck as what to do, so any help you can give would be greatly appreciated

I'm running:
Windows 7 ultimate x64
Intel quad core i5 2.67GHz
4GB DDR3
Radeon HD5770

MadGoat1979

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009
Off the top of my head, I would make sure the 6 pin PCIe power to the video card is connected and secure. Also be sure that the video card's fan is operating correctly.

Other than that I would ask What type and how old is the Power supply that is being used?

pkw4

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
take the card out and give it a clean, then re seat it, also make sure your bios is set correct. i had a similar problem with a 9500gt that after installing the drivers on reboot the pc would display a blank screen and freeze, turned out it was from a dodgy batch of cards.

ozric42

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
Hi guys thanks for the replies. I've just nipped home on my lunch break so I haven't got time to open my case and check the type of PSU at the moment but I do know that it's a 750w quiet PSU. I brought the computer from new 3 months ago and this is the first problem I've encountered with it. I did take the card out yesterday and check it was all ok and made sure it was all connected fine when I put it back in. Whenever I do the hoovering I always hoover the outside of the case too to make sure it's as free from dust as possible.

If you still need to know the make of my PSU I can check when I get home from work

ozric42

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
Is there no-one who can help me out then :-( I don't really want to have to send the computer back if I can help it, but I cannot think of a solution. oh and just for the record I did also use Driver Sweeper inbetween changing the drivers for the graphics card

ozric42

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
That's a very good guide, but unfortunately it's about building a computer and it doesn't list the problem that I'm having anywhere in it. As I said I'd been running the computer for around 3 months or so without any problems

ozric42

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
Well I thought I'd give it one more try before I sent the computer back. This time I deleted my partitions and then formatted the hard disk, installed windows, then the mobo drivers, then the graphics card drivers and now.... It works perfectly fine.

Very bizarre that's it just started working again, must have been some software issue somewhere along the line. Hopefully it's going to carry on working now, cheers for all your help

TRENDING THREADS