Question Problem with my power supply please advise!

Sparkyy

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2014
I had a Antec NE650 Semi modular power supply which died on me, probably due no earthing in my house.
It was running a Ryzen 3 processor and a GTX 1660 (No OC).
In this lockdown duration I had to wait 1.5 months to get a new Corsair CX 550 watt PSU and A Equipment protecting UPS, but the Corsair unit seems to be having issues too.

I connected the molex Fans of my case to the PSU (did not connect any other cable) and turned it on, and the fans start spinning, if I connect all the cables, all the fans and LEDs stay on even after i Shutdown my PC, they run at full speed and peek brightness.
Is it a bad PSU or is it that my old antec took something with it?

What will be a better option? Get a replacement for PSU (~2 months more wait) or run the computer off this PSU for couple of months till the epidemic calms down and claim warranty with Corsair?
Computer seems to be running fine, all temps and voltages look good in Bios, just that I have to turn off the PSU itself when shutting down the computer to turn off the LEDs and fans.
Please Suggest.

Ralston18

Titan
Four immediate suggestions:

1) Try to get proper earthing in your house. If earthing is indeed the problem then that must be taken care of.

2) Doublecheck all internal power connections; cables, plugs, motherboard ports. Ensure (use the motherboard User Guide/Manual) that all connections are as they should be.

3) Learn more about PSUs. Reference link:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-psus,4229.html

4) Do you have a multi-meter and know how to use it? Or maybe a family member or friend who does?

Test your PSU(s)

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-psus,4229.html

It is good, but perhaps also a matter of good fortune that your computer is "running fine".

Power problems of any sort seldom end well. Take an active approach to figuring things out.

And I would not wait until the epidemic calms down - that may be a long time....

Contact Corsair now. Get the warranty claim started.

Sparkyy

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2014
1) Again due to lockdown, all services are closed, I have moved into a new house which was under construction, so everything is stalled. Although I have bought a UPS which should solve most surge issues.

2) Checked all connections multiple times, no abnormal connections.

3) Sure

4) Don't have a multimeter right now, but I did check the PSU by only connecting the molex to my case fans, and it was running all the fans and Leads continuously at peak power.

The problem with claiming warranty is that it will leave me with no computer for a couple of days or maybe even weeks, it may impact my job position.
And I have 5 year warranty anyway, I don't think this virus will.go on for that much time.

Sparkyy

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2014
Hi, Giving an update.
Yesterday I kept my PC turned off for ~12 hours (PSU Switch off), then started the PSU and the LEDs and fans didn't start, I turned on the PC and everything ran normally.
After 8-10 hours of use I turned the PC off and the fans and LEDs also turned off normally, so I didn't switch the PSU off, but after 5-6 minutes the fans and LEDs automatically started again.

Can we figure out which part of my PC is actually faulty with this incident?