[SOLVED] Problem with my ryzen 3 1200af overclocking

niko99398

Prominent
May 7, 2020
I just bought ryzen 3 1200af for fun just to overclock it. I actually can to some point. Online i saw that others went to like 4.0 ghz or somerhing like that and i tried first 3.9. The multyplier is 39 but the actual clock is 3.45(max turbo clock). In task manager cpu usage maxes out at like 86% and wont go higher but it says that the base clock is 3.9. In HWMonitor is 3.45 and just locked in. I updated the bios, i changed the voltages and still cant move that.

Solution
First of all thanks for replying. Second I wanted to try ryzen master but im chaning gpu-s so i will first try that. My motherboard is MSI A320 Pro which, from the internet, can overclock. I had my doubts
A320 motherboards do not allow overclocking of CPU's. You can still overclock the iGPU of 2200/2400/3200/3400 processors and memory though, so that may be what you're reading.

niko99398

Prominent
May 7, 2020
I just bought ryzen 3 1200af becous i saw that people were overclocking it to like 4ghz. I wanted to try and my multiplier is on 39, voltages were set from 1.15 to 1.4 and made no difference. The problem is that it wont go above the stock turbo clock(3.45ghz) which is very weird. I checked on HWmonitor and it said 3.45 constant not droping which means that it overclocked to some.point. In device manager the base clock speed is 3.9 ghz but the usage maxes out at like 86% for some reason and wont go any higher. In cinebench it is stated that it is higher(i tried from 3.5-4.0) but the score is the same. I dont know what to do now

What is your motherboard model? Did you read the manual? Does your board even allow tuning? If yes, then raise the core frequency multiplier in the BIOS. You can also make temporary changes in Ryzen Master which can be useful for testing. If you are lucky, it might top out around 4.5GHz. Unlucky would be about 4GHz.

niko99398

Prominent
May 7, 2020
What is your motherboard model? Did you read the manual? Does your board even allow tuning? If yes, then raise the core frequency multiplier in the BIOS. You can also make temporary changes in Ryzen Master which can be useful for testing. If you are lucky, it might top out around 4.5GHz. Unlucky would be about 4GHz.
First of all thanks for replying. Second I wanted to try ryzen master but im chaning gpu-s so i will first try that. My motherboard is MSI A320 Pro which, from the internet, can overclock. I had my doubts

A320 motherboards do not allow overclocking of CPU's. You can still overclock the iGPU of 2200/2400/3200/3400 processors and memory though, so that may be what you're reading.

Last edited:
Solution
Hmmm... there's that apocryphal over-clockable A320 again.

I'm not saying it's impossible as Asus got away with enabling PCIe gen 4 on X470 and B450 boards for a while before AMD locked it out in microcode updates. But I'd like to see some proof of it anyway.

I'll see if I can dig up the article. It was news last year and I can't remember where I saw it. I'll start by looking through some hwbot submissions to see if I can narrow it down. Not even sure if it would support the AF if it was an older BIOS. I love it when people figure out to OC the stuff that is supposed to be locked down :D