Question Problem with new Adaptec SCSI Card 29320

Dennis Hagans

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2013
the system is a Dell Precision 530 mt dual Xeon 3.0Ghz

I bought this card:

Adaptec SCSI Card 29320

Dual Channel 64-bit PCI-X 133MHz to Ultra320 SCSI Card (one external 68-pin, two internal 68-pin, one internal 50-pin)

I bought this drive:

Fujitsu MAT3147NP 147GB 10000 RPM 8MB Cache SCSI Ultra320 68pin 3.5" Hard Drive

This drive is on channel A.

my mainboard has an ultra 160 controller disabled in the bios.

the 29320 card sees the hard drive but windows xp does not see the drive when I try to install, I tried F6 but it wants a 3.5 floppy to load the driver.

I have downloaded drivers and put them on cd for transfer, from my laptop.

the only way I can think of to do this is to put the 2, ide drives back in, with dual boot win XP and win 7 already set up, then create the floppy disk from the cd that has the drivers, which is a bunch of trouble to take the SCSI drive and move it then put the 2 ide drives back in.

I also, thought about taking the 29320 PCI-X card out and enabling the onboard ultra 160 then installing win XP that way, and trying to see if it would boot disabling the onboard and putting the ultra 320 card back in. I am sure in order to boot it will want a driver for the 29320 card just to be able to see it during boot.

in any case, it means opening up this heavy case and using the previous setup to make a floppy or removing the PCI-X card and trying to install from the ultra 160 onboard adaptor, the drive will run just fine on the 160 but at half the speed it can run at.

looking for advice

the whole purpose of this machine is I want to do audio and video on this server-class machine, it has all the power I want and then some. with a 10k rpm SCSI drive that is just another upgrade to speed things up.

Last edited by a moderator:

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS