Problem with new build (Freezing and laud cooler)

Kanoo7

Commendable
Dec 25, 2016
so i got a new MB (msi z370 carbon), 16 gb ddr4 ram , I7 8700k and a H115I aio.

i build the system last night, installed the windows and ...everything works but the corsair aio was way too loud and my idel temps were at 68 to 70 degrees.
this morning i opened the case and just made sure that the water cooler was not loose on the CPU, had to thighten the skrews and my idel temps droped to 37 to 39.

I also ran a intelburn test and under load my max temps were at 70 .

but the system feels a bit laggy, i just played BF1 and it was also laggy even with 120 fps. anfter 15 mins of playing the cooler got wayyyy too laud and than the system froze... even the reset botton didnt work.

i dont know much about these stuff tbh so i really need some help .

(btw, i was keep checking the cpu temps while playing BF1, it was around 70ish. havent overclocked the cpu either.)

also the CPU Fan was on 940 RPM when i checked in the bios.

Solution
You could turn the fan on the back around, using it as air intake to have a balance air flow.
You don't want to have too many fans working against each other, so if you add more fans keep them balance, use around the same amount of intake and exhaust fans.
If you temps dropped by 1/2 after tighten the screws then your cooler was not seated properly.
If your CPU overheats it will decrease speed (CPU throttling) to lower temps. In that case you will see lagging, instability and system freezing.

Check the 'Task Manager' for process hogging your system.
Monitor your temps while gaming with HWMonitor

Kanoo7

Commendable
Dec 25, 2016

i do use HWMonitor as well...temps on idel about 37 and in game not more than 68 to 70...even during the intelburn stress test is didnt go beyond 70 under 100 load....its just the cooler that during game goes crazy load and starts to freeze eveything ...like even the tempred glass was a bit hot last time it froze and i still cant see the cpu temps go crazy high...im just really confused by this

Kanoo7

Commendable
Dec 25, 2016

Specs

8700K (Stock speed)
MSI z370 carbon pro gaming ac
16 gb ddr4 g/ skil z ram (3200 Mgh)
Corsair H115i
GTX 1080

updated the bios and thats it,havent changed anything....

i have 2 (280 mm) fans in from... they are the corsair H115i fans, they face outside and back of the fans into case

i also have a 120 mm fan at the back to take air out ... didnt have space for anymore fans

I am no quite sure how the fans are installed on the radiator, but it should be a push configuration where air from the fans is push thru the radiator fins and out of the case.

Kanoo7

Commendable
Dec 25, 2016

well since i dont know much about it so i took a few pics of it if its clear enough
https://imgur.com/a/xby1H

https://imgur.com/a/ubvuM

Kanoo7

Commendable
Dec 25, 2016

ill try that than...do i need to completly take the cooler off and use thermal paste (cooler had pre applied)or should i just change the fans?

Do not remove the cooler from the CPU unless you are applying new thermal paste.
Just move the fans.

Kanoo7

Commendable
Dec 25, 2016

so i just put the fans like the picture u suggested,,,now do u think i should do something with the fan at the back and turn it around? or maybe add more fans on top ?
cuz now the radiator is pushing the air inside the case out...so should a fan bring air in or?

You could turn the fan on the back around, using it as air intake to have a balance air flow.
You don't want to have too many fans working against each other, so if you add more fans keep them balance, use around the same amount of intake and exhaust fans.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS