Problem with new build "sm bus controller"

zeek987

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2007
I just built a new computer, everything seems to be running great, except....

Win XP Pro SP2 is reporting an unknown device in the device manager. It is shown as "SM Bus Controller".
Where can I find a driver to fix this problem?

I have a gigabyte p35-ds3p mobo.

thanks

rockyjohn

Distinguished
Did you try Googling "SM Bus Controller"?

Here are the first listing which you might find helpful.

http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/sb/cs-013541.htm

The link for the utility lists your exact symptoms and also has some frequently asked questions and other general information.

Google also has quite a few other listings - many forum postings - if the above does not take care of the problem. You might also check with Gigabyte. I am not familiar with this software utility myself and don't know why this extra effort is required.

zeek987

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2007
hey rockyjohn, I had googled and searched this forum, but all I had found was other forums where people were told to check their mobo or pc manufacturer's website. The intel site came up, but I wasn't sure what file to download. Gigabytes support site didn't say anything about it. So, my searches having been fruitless, I asked the nice and insightful people at this forum.
The intel chipset utility did do the trick. Thanks for pointing my in the right direction.

Peace.

ShuttleDriverSolution

Distinguished
May 25, 2009
Just an update to this post for anyone that may have come across this thread while attempting to resolve Intel SMBus issues or other missing IO driver issues after a fresh OS installation on a Shuttle. The most common issues are USB and other devices not working properly and showing up as unidentified components in Device Manager. These problems typically manifest themselves by forcing the hardware installation wizard to run on start-up and never being able to find the proper driver.

Always go to the Intel driver link listed above that rockyjohn found on the Intel site. Then click through and download the "Intel Chipset Driver Installation Utility" for your OS version, and run the installation.

Most of the drivers on the Shuttle web site for the SG33G5 were NOT current and will not even install with a fully patched version of XP. The Intel Chipset Driver Installation utility that rockyjohn found was the only thing that ultimately solved these problems. Why Shuttle does not direct all users to this site first from their support page is a mystery.

If you are unable to get to the internet because your Marvell Yukon Chipset based Ethernet controller is not working, you must first download the win2kxp NIC driver from the Shuttle support driver download page for the SG33G5.

Additionally, it is highly recommended that you do this first prior to any other driver updates or troubleshooting.

Another quick note for ease of installing these required driver updates. If you do need to download the Marvel NIC and Intel Driver utility from another machine, these drivers can be copied to a USB drive and transferred to the Shuttle if you use either of the top two USB ports on the back of the SG33G5. For whatever reason, these two ports still seem to function prior to the Intel drivers being installed. Data transfers on any of the other ports will typically not work or fail. This may save the time of burning the Marvell and Intel drivers installation utilities to a CD...

Hope this helps save some time...