Problem with new Build

rajmist

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2007
Hi

Finally bought the pieces for me PC and put it together but i have a potential problem heres my spec first,

Asus P5k-E Motherboard
Intel E6750
2 GB PC8500 OCZ Reaper RAM
ATI 1950Pro 512MB GC
1x 320 GB SATA 2 16MB Buffer HDD
1x 80 SATA 1 8MB Buffer HDD
600Watt OCZ Power Supply
1x NEC DVDRW

The problem i am having is i have built it and when i try and update the bios (no OS installed yet) it gets so far then the PC Shuts Down

now i have found out that my memory was not compatible with the board so i have sent that back and ordered 2GB of Crucial Ballistixs memory

any ideas what my problem could be if its still there,

cheers

Raj

Sorry, but I always install OS after putting a system together. This is not always the best option, but I haven't had any issues to date (dozen or so builds in last 2+ years). Alot of different memory sticks will work in that mobo. From my reading of the forums, I noticed that usually the main memory mismatch problem is the voltage settings. Some memory (DDR2) likes to be at the stock voltage of 1.8v and others go up to 2.2v or so. So the biggest issue with that is making sur e the memory voltage is set right in the BIOS. Not I could be totally wrong on this, but that is what I've picked up on these forums for quite some time. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, please. Of coarse there are some memory that doesn't work at all with certain mobo's, but I believe that is a rarity more than common place.

rajmist

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2007
the OCZ Mem i was using was the reaper pc2 8500 so if the memory is fine do you think my motherboard is faulty ?

rajmist

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2007
Theres nothing wrong with doing a BIOS update MRSBYTCH on a new machine, and for calling me a NOOB you don't even know why my machine shut down during a BIOS update

akhilles

Splendid
Very nice specs. I don't see any problems with it. How about you run some memtest & see if it works?

With asus, floppy is the only option for bios updates. Make sure you format it thoroughly prior. Better get a new one. At what percent of update does it shut down? Try unplugging all external devices.

I don't know how many times this has to be said.
Unless there is a specific problem your are addressing, and the new BIOS update is written to correct the problem, updating your BIOS is completely, and utterly pointless.
Updating your BIOS simply for the sake of updating because there is a new one, does absolutley nothing for you, if all of your current hardware is working fine. You will get no sudden wonderous increase in frames rates, no sudden magical boost in internet speed or file transfers. That is not how your BIOS works.
If you notice, the updates will tell you what changes are made. They are ALWAYS to correct a problem. Boards and BIOS's that never have any problems, don't have updates available.
Many times, uneedingly updating your BIOS will cause more problems than it solves.

rajmist

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2007
I found the problem, me CPU Heat sink and fan was not sitting properly on hte CPU.

Live and learn cheers for the help guys

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
I have the bios version that came with my mobo and don't plan on upgrading my bios unless I have a compatibilty problem with future hardware. Just because you can update your bios doesn't mean that you should. Good luck.