Problem with New CPU

pondexes

Prominent
Nov 16, 2017
Hello everyone, I upgraded my CPU today and I’m having some issues.

Here are my specs before the upgrade:

CPU: Intel Pentium G4400 3.30GHz 3.30GHz
Motherboard: Gigabyte H170N Wifi
GPU: NVIDIA GTRX 950

So I purchased an Intel i5-7600k and a new liquid cooling system (Corsair H100i v2) and installed them today. The computer was working fine before I just wanted a boost to performance.

After installing the new CPU and cooling system I attempted to boot the computer. At this point all of the fans, the cooling system, and the lights on the motherboard would power on... However neither of my two monitors that I tried would detect anything and the lights on my mouse and keyboard wouldn’t start. I decided to do a little digging and found other people have had similar issues so I tried many of those solutions including a CMOS reset, trying only 1 stick of RAM (trying a total of 4 different sticks), using onboard graphics and disconnecting my GPU, and checking all connections.

So I decided to see if I possibly damaged the CPU housing on my motherboard and, after examining thoroughly, I couldn’t find anything wrong. At this point I swapped back to my old CPU to see if it would work (Note the only thing I did here was disconnect the CPU fan connection, remove the heat sink, swap CPUs, then reattached the heat sink and fan connection) and the computer booted perfectly fine. I assumed at this point the CPU must have been faulty or something.

Well I had just reset my BIOS settings so I decided to reboot the computer again and go into my BIOS. I came to a screen saying my BIOS settings had been reset with a confirmation box. I clicked OK and my computer restarted itself. I tried several more times and the same thing happens over and over. I can boot straight into Windows fine but I can’t access my BIOS without the computer restarting. So maybe it’s not a bad CPU, maybe there’s another issue? Thanks for any replies, this has got me pretty stumped and the only other thing I can think to do at this point is to ask for a replacement CPU and see if that works.

pondexes

Prominent
Nov 16, 2017
Well I feel like a complete idiot now as I know it said it was supported for my motherboard but it also says that’s for version F20... I’m not even sure what version I had.

As far as the rebooting upon entering BIOS does anyone have any ideas because (I think) I need to get into BIOS to update it.

EDIT: Misread something, working on flashing BIOS now. I’ll update after I’ve reinstalled the new CPU.