Question Problem with new graphics card.

Jun 9, 2019
I recently bought a new graphics card (Evga gtx 1660) and after installing it the pc turns on but no image. I'm not sure if there is a problem with the new card or the old psu?
Also what puzzles me the graphics card manual says recommended psu is 450W but the website says 500W (website says test on a 3.2 i7 processor):

My PC
Processor: i7 4790K 4.0gb
Mobo: Z97-P
Ram: 8gb ddr3
Old Graphics card: sapphire R7 240 2gb (system works)
New graphics card: evga gtx 1660 6 gb (problems)
psu: corsair VC550
1 hard drive + 1 dvdRW + 2 fans (120mm)
Monitor LG 24" HDMI

Any help and advice would be appreciated.

psu: corsair VC550
You mean to say the VS 550 model ? This is a budget low-end PSU, and not then very best either. But I doubt PSU might be the culprit here. Have you connected the PCI-e connectors to the GPU from your power supply ? Try to update your system BIOS as well.

Do you get a black screen on the display ? Can you get past the BIOS POST screen, or the monitor is totally blank/no display ? Make sure to plug the Monitor's cable to the GPU.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2019
Many thanks guys it works now, i'm really very grateful for your help. I did take out the new card and reinstalled it again, making sure it and the cables are in properly. Also I didn't use amd's driver cleaner program I just deleted a directory that had a lot of old amd drivers that I found after uninstalling the old driver program manually.

Yes my psu is a VS 550, do you think it is ok to use in the long run with this new card? I won't be running 2 graphics cards but I will have to buy a 2nd hard drive for more space. Also some new games recommend 16 gb ram. I would not want these new parts to bring my power usage over the 550 watt mark if the cards recommends a min power of 500W.

Reactions: Metal Messiah.
Yes my psu is a VS 550, do you think it is ok to use in the long run with this new card?

The recommended PSU requirements are for the whole PC/system, not only just the GPU. The VS Model is an okay-ish budget PSU, not the very best. I think the grey label VS units have been updated, and are slightly better than the older orange label units, though neither are really great.

But never mind all that. The VS series PSUs are NOT deadly though....It's just an inferior quality unit. If you have the budget, then kindly upgrade your current PSU, IF possible ? How old is your power supply ?

Last edited: