Question Problem with new i7-12700K build, please help!

Mar 22, 2022
Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X (1.0) DDR5, Intel i7-12700K and Corsair CMK32GX5M2B5600C36 will not POST, fans spin fast speed.

I have CPU and DRAM lights alternatively flashing and eventually I get 4 long beeps and the system resets and repeats. I have flashed the BIOS using the USB and button method (because I never get any video up).

I have built an identical system but with an i9-12900K instead of i7-12900K I have tried the memory in this machine and its fine. The i7-12700K CPU has been tested on another system (same motherboard but DDR4 version), it is fine. I have rebuilt the i7-12700K system onto another new motherboard, it does exactly the same as the first motherboard. I am thinking that I have some kind of compatibility issue that is only affecting the i7-12700K version!

I have powered both systems from the same PSU so its not a power supply issue. Motherboard just sat on the antistatic bag on the desk so no chance of a short in the case. I always wear an anti-static wrist band when working on PC's.

I think I have tried everything!

Please advise if anyone has anything that they can suggest, I am not sure how to get out of this situation without spending lots more money as I don't know what part is best to change to ensure a result! Obviously the ideal is some solution to make the combination work!

Thanks!

I have flashed the BIOS using the USB and button method (because I never get any video up)
how would you know if it flashed properly if you only have a blank screen?
I have built an identical system...
your statement doesn't make sense.

when trying the 12700K in the other build it works fine?
and when trying the 12900K in the current build it also works fine?

but when building a new system again with the same 12700K it again doesn't function properly?

Mar 22, 2022
Hi,

I appreciate your reading this. It gets confusing sorry if I wasn't clear!

From what I have read, the flash succeeded, the amber light flashed fast for a while (experience indicates to me that's writing), then slow for a while (experience indicates to me that's verifying), the machine then reset. I also flashed the i9 machines BIOS using the same technique which was a success and behaved the same way.

Ok so there are 3 very similar systems available to me and one extra motherboard:

System 1: i7-12700 with DDR4 (oldest build and reason I stuck with the Gaming X mobo - I like to standardise where I can)
System 2: i7-12700 with DDR5 (the problem build)
System 3: i9-12900 with DDR5 (the working system that was built most recently)

Because I was pretty sure it was the motherboard that was a problem, I also have an extra Gaming X DDR5 model.

System 2's i7-12700 works in System 1.
System 2's DDR5 works in System 3.

I then put all the System 2 parts on the new mobo fully expecting it to work and be returning the original System 2 mobo, but it behaved exactly the same way as the original mobo!

I did not try the i9-12900 from system 3 in System 2 yet (ran out of time at work, at home now). There is a tiny possibility that I have two faulty mobo's but think that's a really slim chance hence I am asking questions already without trying this. To be honest I would rather not mess with the i9 unless its essential - in regards to removing it's CPU about.

I have less access to System 1 as it is a homeworkers machine.

So really what I am saying is, unless I am missing something, I have tested everything and its some kind of compatibility issue. On the same line, I did check that the CPU and the DDR5 are on the compatibility list for the motherboard. Memory specs for both CPU's appear to be identical on Intel's website as well but I don't know if that means anything in the real world.

I am at a loss!

if the two motherboards that appear to be having issue are the exact same model/serial then it could just be a manufacturing issue.
i would check up on the manufacturer's support forums and see if others are making comments about similar issue.

the only real way to tell if it could be some type of issue with this board + CPU is to test your 12900K in one or both of them and see if they then function as they should.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I would consider a vote of no confidence in the mobo(s), return them, and perhaps consider duplicating one of the other motherboards you have working properly on the components based on desire to stick with the DDR5, or fall back to 4

(this is if I am properly understanding this truly dizzying telling)

/hardtokeepup

Mar 22, 2022
I saw your help request message!
And I had to say, I'm in trouble like yours too!
12700KF
Z690 GAMINX G
It must be noted that the same memories and the same problem.
After 3 minutes of attempts, it shuts down and resets the BIOS.
5600 XMP not working!
I ran XMP and did manual 5500 and it worked.
5600 just does not work!
According to GB (tested 4.43) and correct.
The problem, I have 4.43.02 Where is the problem? There is no knowing.
Have you found a solution?
From what it looks like, our processor does not support 5600 (not even tested)
problem.
https://www.intel.com/content/dam/w...-for-intel-core-processors-datasheet-ddr5.pdf

Mar 22, 2022
@JohnBonhamsGhost, you are right, I must try the i9 in at least one of the mobos that wont work with the i7! First job today, I will report back.

@punkncat, yes, it is confusing and hard to explain clearly yes. I will consider your suggestion.

@Chup_Gaming, that is all interesting information, especially the intel table which I was not aware existed! I am slightly confused though as you say that like me it wont boot but then you say you set the BIOS to XMP 5500 and it worked. How did you do that? Did you fit a different CPU to set it? Assuming that's how you did it, if I did that, I would be worried that I may one day forget and put the memory back up to 5600 leaving, me with a broken system again!

Thanks for your help guys, it's truly helpful to have your advice!

Kev.

Mar 22, 2022
OK, unbelievably, the i9 does not work in system 2 on the new motherboard either. I haven't bothered to try it on the original motherboard as its identical problem to what I have always had, but I did try System 3 DRAM in System 2 with new motherboard and it made no difference, I wanted to try that just in case there was an issue with that particular DRAM/Mobo combo!

So I have 2x faulty Motherboards! interestingly, the serial number of the two that are faulty have the same first 4 digits where the good one is completely different. They all came from Amazon but the two faulty ones where Amazon direct where the good one was an Amazon seller, as it happens.

Thanks for the help!

Kev.

Mar 22, 2022
@JohnBonhamsGhost, you are right, I must try the i9 in at least one of the mobos that wont work with the i7! First job today, I will report back.

@punkncat, yes, it is confusing and hard to explain clearly yes. I will consider your suggestion.

@Chup_Gaming, that is all interesting information, especially the intel table which I was not aware existed! I am slightly confused though as you say that like me it wont boot but then you say you set the BIOS to XMP 5500 and it worked. How did you do that? Did you fit a different CPU to set it? Assuming that's how you did it, if I did that, I would be worried that I may one day forget and put the memory back up to 5600 leaving, me with a broken system again!

Thanks for your help guys, it's truly helpful to have your advice!

Kev.

If you run XMP 5600
On B2 only it will work in one slot
The rest of the slots are not.
To work on 5500 on CL 36
You are running a profile
And sets him instead of 5600 then 5500
Do not touch any volt setting or anything of the sort.
After setting 5500 instead of 5600 you press F10 on the keyboard
Give it a try within 30 seconds and you'll have a POST.
Successfully.

Mar 22, 2022
Did you happen to try a CMOS reset, after flashing the bios?
Do not think there is a need to reset CMOS
After re-burning the BIOS.
Which he resets the settings anyway.

that would lean it a bit more towards faulty production.
have you checked Gigabyte forums for complaints related to this board yet?

I addressed them directly
According to what they say it should work without a problem.
Tested the same memory in VER 4.43
What I have and believe that the thread opener is also 4.43.02 VER
If 5500 works in XMP enabled, it is in my opinion a BIOS and not a motherboard malfunction.
Strange as it is, B2 only on the XMP 5600 AUTO works without a problem (ID)
A1 A2 B1 on XMP 5600 not working.

Mar 22, 2022
You would think that is the case, but I have personally had it happen. I had an Asus Z270 strix itx board, updated the bios, on it, and it wouldn't boot up properly, until I did a CMOS reset.
I also had a Z270 STRIX
I did not encounter any issue after updating the BIOS.
Of course it would reset everything to me AUTO and configure everything according to the profile defined by ASUS.
Last update was in 2021 month 8.

Mar 22, 2022
that would lean it a bit more towards faulty production.
have you checked Gigabyte forums for complaints related to this board yet?
I will do.

I am already discussing directly with them. They dont yet know I have a second board and they are both faulty as their message system is only "half duplex" and its their turn to send a message lol

Last edited:
Reactions: Cem Goker
Mar 22, 2022
Well, a third motherboard has now arrived and is non-functioning exactly the same. I have raised another ticket with Gigabyte.

3x SN21440000XXXX not working, serials all within 100 of each other :unsure:.
1xSN21460000XXXX working perfectly with all the parts that I have for both machines.

It has to be a bad batch. I will keep you updated.

I havent found anything on the Gigabyte Forum but I cant seem to search it either!

Mar 22, 2022
Well, a third motherboard has now arrived and is non-functioning exactly the same. I have raised another ticket with Gigabyte.

3x SN21440000XXXX not working, serials all within 100 of each other :unsure:.
1xSN21460000XXXX working perfectly with all the parts that I have for both machines.

It has to be a bad batch. I will keep you updated.

I havent found anything on the Gigabyte Forum but I cant seem to search it either!
I mean you think it's not a BIOS problem these are a hardware problem of the motherboard in slots A1 A2 B1?
B2 works for me on the XMP 5600 with no problem and turns on quickly.

I just checked my motherboard serial, you're right.
My serial number is exactly as you mentioned:
SN21440000XXXX
Probably a defect in the motherboard The question is when gigabytes will report a recall or what should we do in this situation when there is a defect in the motherboard (new product)

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2022
I mean you think it's not a BIOS problem these are a hardware problem of the motherboard in slots A1 A2 B1?
B2 works for me on the XMP 5600 with no problem and turns on quickly.

I just checked my motherboard serial, you're right.
My serial number is exactly as you mentioned:
SN21440000XXXX
Probably a defect in the motherboard The question is when gigabytes will report a recall or what should we do in this situation when there is a defect in the motherboard (new product)

Chup, I couldn't get any joy out of any combination of memory 1 or 2 sticks on the i7 system. However, the i9 board works with both sticks at XMP 5600, both its own and the i7's pair. If I put the i7 in the i9 system, it still works perfectly. I would guess you have a slightly better board than my bad ones but still not working correctly!

Very interesting that you have a board that starts with the same numbers, I think even more strongly that there is some manufacturing issue. Hopefully I will hear back from Gigabyte soon though it can take 7 days.

Mar 22, 2022
Chup, I couldn't get any joy out of any combination of memory 1 or 2 sticks on the i7 system. However, the i9 board works with both sticks at XMP 5600, both its own and the i7's pair. If I put the i7 in the i9 system, it still works perfectly. I would guess you have a slightly better board than my bad ones but still not working correctly!

Very interesting that you have a board that starts with the same numbers, I think even more strongly that there is some manufacturing issue. Hopefully I will hear back from Gigabyte soon though it can take 7 days.

Update me, I would love to know what they tell you ..
Because they say "it's supposed to work" and that their labs tested the memories I have on version 4.43 and works (again I will note that mine is 4.43.02) I have no clue if it matters or not.
Upon closer inspection I noticed that INTEL released a type of PDF where your CPU appears since it is supported on XMP 5600 and above.
The I7 12700 NON K or K or KF are not on the 5600 XMP or later list of supporters.
Send you what I found?

Mar 22, 2022
Update me, I would love to know what they tell you ..
Because they say "it's supposed to work" and that their labs tested the memories I have on version 4.43 and works (again I will note that mine is 4.43.02) I have no clue if it matters or not.
Upon closer inspection I noticed that INTEL released a type of PDF where your CPU appears since it is supported on XMP 5600 and above.
The I7 12700 NON K or K or KF are not on the 5600 XMP or later list of supporters.
Send you what I found?
I don't understand what you mean, I have 12700K and you have 12700KF, are you saying the entry just shows as 12700? If so I would assume they mean either? Yes send the link please!

Mar 22, 2022
I don't understand what you mean, I have 12700K and you have 12700KF, are you saying the entry just shows as 12700? If so I would assume they mean either? Yes send the link please!

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/gaming/xmp-3-for-core-processors.html

Look that 12700K only appears from the 5200 frequency and the maximum 6400 frequency ..
Apparently there is a support issue with our RAM processors that we have?
12900K \ F appears in all you know also 5600 ..
Also 12600K just like 12900K

Mar 22, 2022
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/gaming/xmp-3-for-core-processors.html

Look that 12700K only appears from the 5200 frequency and the maximum 6400 frequency ..
Apparently there is a support issue with our RAM processors that we have?
12900K \ F appears in all you know also 5600 ..
Also 12600K just like 12900K
Ah ok, I see what you are saying. So you have the exact same 32GB kit as me? It is listed on the Gigabyte motherboard compatibility sheet. Bearing in mind I have 1 board that will run either of the two sets of memory that I have with the i7 or the i9, and that it is listed as compatible by Gigabyte, and also that it is one of the most popular memory kits I would tend to think that it should work.
I would also point out that people don't tend to publicise what they have put together unless they are having a problem with it.