Question Problem with new i7-12700K build, please help!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Mar 22, 2022
Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X (1.0) DDR5, Intel i7-12700K and Corsair CMK32GX5M2B5600C36 will not POST, fans spin fast speed.

I have CPU and DRAM lights alternatively flashing and eventually I get 4 long beeps and the system resets and repeats. I have flashed the BIOS using the USB and button method (because I never get any video up).

I have built an identical system but with an i9-12900K instead of i7-12900K I have tried the memory in this machine and its fine. The i7-12700K CPU has been tested on another system (same motherboard but DDR4 version), it is fine. I have rebuilt the i7-12700K system onto another new motherboard, it does exactly the same as the first motherboard. I am thinking that I have some kind of compatibility issue that is only affecting the i7-12700K version!

I have powered both systems from the same PSU so its not a power supply issue. Motherboard just sat on the antistatic bag on the desk so no chance of a short in the case. I always wear an anti-static wrist band when working on PC's.

I think I have tried everything!

Please advise if anyone has anything that they can suggest, I am not sure how to get out of this situation without spending lots more money as I don't know what part is best to change to ensure a result! Obviously the ideal is some solution to make the combination work!

Thanks!

Mar 22, 2022
Ah ok, I see what you are saying. So you have the exact same 32GB kit as me? It is listed on the Gigabyte motherboard compatibility sheet. Bearing in mind I have 1 board that will run either of the two sets of memory that I have with the i7 or the i9, and that it is listed as compatible by Gigabyte, and also that it is one of the most popular memory kits I would tend to think that it should work.
I would also point out that people don't tend to publicise what they have put together unless they are having a problem with it.

Agree with what you said but I found someone else with the same board if it processes the same sticks and also had the same problem as ours ...
So I tend to think this is a compatibility issue with the CPU and not a motherboard :)
As for the amount of sticks? Yes
2X16GB = 32GB
5600 CL36
CORSAIR
CHIP SAMSUNG.

Mar 22, 2022
Agree with what you said but I found someone else with the same board if it processes the same sticks and also had the same problem as ours ...
So I tend to think this is a compatibility issue with the CPU and not a motherboard :)
As for the amount of sticks? Yes
2X16GB = 32GB
5600 CL36
CORSAIR
CHIP SAMSUNG.
Does their serial number also start the same by any chance?
Why do you think its a CPU compatibility issue when I can get 2 sets of memory to work with an i7 and an i9 on a known good board, but not on the other three boards?

Mar 22, 2022
Does their serial number also start the same by any chance?
Why do you think its a CPU compatibility issue when I can get 2 sets of memory to work with an i7 and an i9 on a known good board, but not on the other three boards?

Because the table says that these processors were tested at different speeds
Not registered 5600 ..
According to Gigabit the board does work and supports our type of memories and also frequency and CL as well.
So I kind of think this is more CPU compatibility.
As for the one that works on the Z690 GAMING X on a different serial number the memories on the I7 12700K is pretty weird and surprising.
So I have nothing to say but wait for the gigabyte to respond and release bios updates that might fix it ..

Mar 22, 2022
Hi,

Here is an update - I really hate it when people ask for help but never let people following the thread know what happened in the end... (this isn't quite the end yet")

I did get the i7 machine to boot in the end and it does work fine but the memory will only run up to 5000 (even though that memory happily runs at 5600 with the i9), so Chup, you definitely have something about the compatibility and I must have got lucky with the i9 system!

Here is what happened:

I went to do further work on the i9 and realised that the BIOS flash had not worked, it was still on F3 (first release). Because I then realised that my flashing technique had not been working - even though the amber LED appeared to indicate that it had, I did the obvious thing and attempted to flash the i7 with F3 (the only version I had not tried as it was the oldest), and used a new pen drive to try it.

This got the i7 system working, and like the i9, at first it did not have XMP enabled which is normal, so I enabled it and it wouldn't boot though this time after a minute or 2 of thinking about it, it did what you would expect and booted into a mode with safe settings - much better behaviour.

I found that I could manually tweak the memory up to 5000 but no further. I then flashed F7A because I wanted to put the latest version of the BIOS on the i9 machine and thought best to test on the troublesome machine first (the i9 is for a friend). This worked fine so i9 also flashed now running F7A at 5600 and running well!

Meanwhile, Gigabyte have asked me to try a version F7C that they linked me. Don't ask me for a copy as its obviously not released yet and didn't seem any better anyway, same problems, HOWEVER - I re-read their message tonight and haven't followed their instructions regarding clearing the CMOS and some other things exactly so I will retry that tomorrow before I write off F7C as not a solution! I think its unlikely that it will make a difference but I can live with the memory at 5000 for now and hopefully eventually a BIOS update will make it properly compatible.

I am very busy with other things now as PC building is only a tiny part of my job, but I will keep you all updated until this concludes.

Cheers.

Mar 22, 2022
Hi,

Here is an update - I really hate it when people ask for help but never let people following the thread know what happened in the end... (this isn't quite the end yet")

I did get the i7 machine to boot in the end and it does work fine but the memory will only run up to 5000 (even though that memory happily runs at 5600 with the i9), so Chup, you definitely have something about the compatibility and I must have got lucky with the i9 system!

Here is what happened:

I went to do further work on the i9 and realised that the BIOS flash had not worked, it was still on F3 (first release). Because I then realised that my flashing technique had not been working - even though the amber LED appeared to indicate that it had, I did the obvious thing and attempted to flash the i7 with F3 (the only version I had not tried as it was the oldest), and used a new pen drive to try it.

This got the i7 system working, and like the i9, at first it did not have XMP enabled which is normal, so I enabled it and it wouldn't boot though this time after a minute or 2 of thinking about it, it did what you would expect and booted into a mode with safe settings - much better behaviour.

I found that I could manually tweak the memory up to 5000 but no further. I then flashed F7A because I wanted to put the latest version of the BIOS on the i9 machine and thought best to test on the troublesome machine first (the i9 is for a friend). This worked fine so i9 also flashed now running F7A at 5600 and running well!

Meanwhile, Gigabyte have asked me to try a version F7C that they linked me. Don't ask me for a copy as its obviously not released yet and didn't seem any better anyway, same problems, HOWEVER - I re-read their message tonight and haven't followed their instructions regarding clearing the CMOS and some other things exactly so I will retry that tomorrow before I write off F7C as not a solution! I think its unlikely that it will make a difference but I can live with the memory at 5000 for now and hopefully eventually a BIOS update will make it properly compatible.

I am very busy with other things now as PC building is only a tiny part of my job, but I will keep you all updated until this concludes.

Cheers.

Thank you very much for the update.
Uploaded to their website F7B.
I tried it, still no life mark on the XMP 5600.
But the same operation as before works successfully.
F7C is probably another unsafe beta version will be waiting to hear from you if the BIOS is indeed as good as requested for testing.

Mar 22, 2022
That is interesting, thanks for letting us know. Can you explain how you managed to do this? Did you just switch on XMP and set voltage to 1.25V before rebooting. There are so many settings these days I must admit that I try not to play with them too much - and in this case the amount of time it takes to recover when settings that don't work are used would make it a very long and slow process!

Mar 22, 2022
That is interesting, thanks for letting us know. Can you explain how you managed to do this? Did you just switch on XMP and set voltage to 1.25V before rebooting. There are so many settings these days I must admit that I try not to play with them too much - and in this case the amount of time it takes to recover when settings that don't work are used would make it a very long and slow process!

Definitely understand you, I for some reason had to turn it off because the BIOS reset my setting after I had a software failure in the video card driver which caused the blue screen.
I still do not know if it is because of the 5600 that is not supported on 32GB on this motherboard of this type sticks, because on 16GB in slot 1 it works XMP on 5600 without any settings.
According to this video I tried to perform on my motherboard several times and it did work ..
Apparently this is indeed a support / BIOS issue as I thought and said from the beginning.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KZFeE-o3jo

It is important to note that I did not perform the volt he mentioned.
I left on 1.25V
What's more, I disabled the sync as it says to undo and made each memory 1.25 as it should.