[SOLVED] Problem with new keyboard connector on Dell Inspiron M5010 laptop ?

May 21, 2021
I recently purchased a replacement keyboard for my Dell laptop but the keyboard ribbon latch will not snap shut when I try to close it. Any help would be apricated, thanks.

Solution
Dell laptop: model?

New keyboard: source/vendor/seller? Is the keyboard truly new, reconditioned or used?

Carefully compare the old keyboard's ribbon latch to the new keyboard's ribbon latch. Look for something that may be interfering with the latch. A magnifying glass may be helpful.

The latches/connectors must be 100% identical.

If so, then with the new keyboard uninstalled, work the latch a few times to "loosen it up" and then if necessary carefully plug in and unplug the connector a few times.

Could simply be stiff and needs to be teased or otherwise rocked into place so the latch will engage.

Again do so carefully and slowly - do not force the latching. If all is correct it should latch in. Watch what happens if...

Ralston18

Titan
Dell laptop: model?

New keyboard: source/vendor/seller? Is the keyboard truly new, reconditioned or used?

Carefully compare the old keyboard's ribbon latch to the new keyboard's ribbon latch. Look for something that may be interfering with the latch. A magnifying glass may be helpful.

The latches/connectors must be 100% identical.

If so, then with the new keyboard uninstalled, work the latch a few times to "loosen it up" and then if necessary carefully plug in and unplug the connector a few times.

Could simply be stiff and needs to be teased or otherwise rocked into place so the latch will engage.

Again do so carefully and slowly - do not force the latching. If all is correct it should latch in. Watch what happens if the latching continues to fail.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS