Honorable
May 26, 2014
So I upgraded from
fx-8350,
ASRock 970 r 2.0,
2x4gb DDR3 ram
TO
Intel i5-7400,
ASROCK Z170 EXTREME3 - http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z170%20Extreme3/?cat=Memory&Model=Z170%20Extreme3&Vendor=HyperX
HyperX DDR4 8gb - HX424C12SB2/8
---
1st question. Is it possible that this ram stick is not supported by this mobo and is that the reason I keep getting NO-SIGNAL on my screen

2nd question. Do I need to format my hard drive (I don't own SSD) to even enter my bios or I can just enter my OS without formatting.

Hopefully, you understand what I am trying to say.

Solution

The CPU is supported however you still need the newest BIOS for it to work. Note the column on the right of the CPU support list "Since BIOS" and for your CPU it has P7.10

You cannot update the BIOS without a Skylake CPU, if you have a local computer shop I would suggest going there and seeing if they can do it. If not you can always order the cheapest Skylake Pentium G4400 which goes for about 50-60 bucks and use that to do it.

The memory is probably fine, I can tell you with 100% certainty the BIOS not being updated to the proper version is your issue.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Your system should boot to the BIOS without a hard drive connected.

The memory kit you got I am assuming is 2x8gb yes? While its not on the QVL that doesn't mean it won't work, thats just the memory that they have tested.

You should try the system with just 1 stick of memory inserted and nothing else connected and see what happens.

Being that the memory is not on the list thats the first thing I would swap out if that doesn't work.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Hold on just noticed something. You have a Z170 motherboard with a Kabylake CPU.

Very likely your problem is the CPU is not supported in the BIOS. You need a Skylake CPU to update the BIOS.

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z170%20Extreme3/?cat=Download&os=BIOS

Note the new version 7 BIOS.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

The CPU is supported however you still need the newest BIOS for it to work. Note the column on the right of the CPU support list "Since BIOS" and for your CPU it has P7.10

You cannot update the BIOS without a Skylake CPU, if you have a local computer shop I would suggest going there and seeing if they can do it. If not you can always order the cheapest Skylake Pentium G4400 which goes for about 50-60 bucks and use that to do it.

The memory is probably fine, I can tell you with 100% certainty the BIOS not being updated to the proper version is your issue.

Solution