[SOLVED] Problem with new pc build

Dec 21, 2020
Hi folks.

I'm building a new budget build pc and had a problem the first time I started it up. It started fine but, I noticed a slight burning smell and shut it off. I started to re-seat the ram and noticed that the plastic sticker on both sticks was starting to melt. I checked to make sure a standoff wasn't out of place and shorting the mobo, all ok there. A friend suggested that it may be bad ram. I pulled a stick of the same type of ram from an extra workstation at the office and the sticker on that stick started to melt when I started it up. Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Motherboard: ASRock B450 PRO4
CPU: Ryzen 5 2600
Cooler: Cooler Master ML120L
SSD: Crucial P2 500GB M.2
RAM: OLOy DDR4 2x8gb (MD4U082417IZDB)
PSU: Apevia ATX-SP600 600w

Melted RAM Sticker

Solution
IIRC those stickers can take boiling temperatures, so it got hot!

advice get in and look at the MB ram slots and make sure nothing is stuck in there, or pins touching etc... look around the area to make sure nothing is "shorting out", other than that, I got nothing.

FarmerFran

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009
IIRC those stickers can take boiling temperatures, so it got hot!

advice get in and look at the MB ram slots and make sure nothing is stuck in there, or pins touching etc... look around the area to make sure nothing is "shorting out", other than that, I got nothing.

Solution
Dec 21, 2020
I'm 99% sure that I had the ram installed correctly. I'll double check for any bent pins this evening. One thing I did notice is that when this happen and I pulled the mobo out of the case, the coating on the back was kind of sticky feeling. After is sat for a while it was no longer sticky. I wonder if there's a problem with the mobo and it's cooking.

I'm 99% sure that I had the ram installed correctly. I'll double check for any bent pins this evening. One thing I did notice is that when this happen and I pulled the mobo out of the case, the coating on the back was kind of sticky feeling. After is sat for a while it was no longer sticky. I wonder if there's a problem with the mobo and it's cooking.
Unrelated to your question, but the Apevia power supply you bought is a total piece of junk. You can not get a good quality 600 watt power supply for $37 USD. If you value your computer you should replace it with a decent brand/model.