Question Problem with new PC

THOMAS 21

Commendable
Apr 3, 2019
Hello guys. Well i have upgraded my PC about 2 months from now. I have a ryzen 7 1700 with rx460 4gb and an ASROCK Fatal1ty K4 B450. Also i have 8 gb of hypex fury 3200mhz RAM. All the other things of my pc are from the old one. Well i have 2 problems.

One of them is that if i dont have my headphones plugged in before i start the game(Fortnite) sound is only being heard by my monitor. The only way i can hear the game from the headphones is if i plug them before starting the game.

Second problem is that even if most of the time i play the game at 120 fps and maybe at some huge fights it drops to like 90 minimum, sometimes for no reason fps drops to 30 and goes from 30 to 50 up and down for around 10 seconds. Then it goes again back to 120. Even if i just stay at the same spot at the game where i have 120fps when this will happen it will go to like 20fps-50fps-20fps-30fps-40fps-30fps-50fps. This happens every half an hour or an hour and i cant understand why. Anyone have any idea?

The frame drop is almost definitely some background task that your PC is running. It is maybe Windows checking for updates, anti-virus or some other update service. You should check your Windows update settings to see how often it is set to auto-update, and change this to a less frequent amount (unless it is already not frequent). Also, check your anti-virus and set automatic update checks and virus scans for it less as well. For all other programs you have that will do something automatically, turn these down too.

As for the sound issue, does this occur only in Fortnite or in all games?

Reactions: THOMAS 21
Hello guys. Well i have upgraded my PC about 2 months from now. I have a ryzen 7 1700 with rx460 4gb and an ASROCK Fatal1ty K4 B450. Also i have 8 gb of hypex fury 3200mhz RAM. All the other things of my pc are from the old one. Well i have 2 problems.

One of them is that if i dont have my headphones plugged in before i start the game(Fortnite) sound is only being heard by my monitor. The only way i can hear the game from the headphones is if i plug them before starting the game.

Second problem is that even if most of the time i play the game at 120 fps and maybe at some huge fights it drops to like 90 minimum, sometimes for no reason fps drops to 30 and goes from 30 to 50 up and down for around 10 seconds. Then it goes again back to 120. Even if i just stay at the same spot at the game where i have 120fps when this will happen it will go to like 20fps-50fps-20fps-30fps-40fps-30fps-50fps. This happens every half an hour or an hour and i cant understand why. Anyone have any idea?
Is your ram 1x8 or 2x4?

THOMAS 21

Commendable
Apr 3, 2019
The frame drop is almost definitely some background task that your PC is running. It is maybe Windows checking for updates, anti-virus or some other update service. You should check your Windows update settings to see how often it is set to auto-update, and change this to a less frequent amount (unless it is already not frequent). Also, check your anti-virus and set automatic update checks and virus scans for it less as well. For all other programs you have that will do something automatically, turn these down too.

As for the sound issue, does this occur only in Fortnite or in all games?
It happens only in Fortnite. I checked it on ac odyssey and whenever i put headphones sound is transfered there. I will try to check anti virus and windows update and i will write again thanks for the advice :)

If you were to get another 8GB 3200MHz HyperX Fury, then you would notice a performance increase too, but possibly it won't fix your frame drops. Still, dual channel is recommended for Ryzen.
As for the headphones, can you change the audio output in-game when you connect the headphones... from the options menu?

i bought single channel so that in future upgrade i have enough slots for 32gb(4x8gb). So you think it is a ram problem?
You can only run in dual channel and running 4 sticks can actually decrease performance over 2 at the same capacity in this scenario.

If you need 32GB you can buy a 2x16 kit later on rather than buying 3 more sticks of 8 which can cause loads of issue. Ideally you want to buy the exact same model and preferably all together.

Not saying it is the issue, saying it could be.

THOMAS 21

Commendable
Apr 3, 2019
Guys i cant find how to check if windows defender , anti virus and windows update checks happen and also dont know where i can change their settings(i dont know much of pcs). Does anyone know?

Jun 20, 2019
If you were to get another 8GB 3200MHz HyperX Fury, then you would notice a performance increase too, but possibly it won't fix your frame drops. Still, dual channel is recommended for Ryzen.
As for the headphones, can you change the audio output in-game when you connect the headphones... from the options menu?
Spot on.. I had the same problem with my Ryzen build, duel channel helps. And I had the same issue with the sound in Black Ops, I had to go to the sound menu in game and switch to headset, otherwise it always defaulted to my monitor.

THOMAS 21

Commendable
Apr 3, 2019
Spot on.. I had the same problem with my Ryzen build, duel channel helps. And I had the same issue with the sound in Black Ops, I had to go to the sound menu in game and switch to headset, otherwise it always defaulted to my monitor.
Did you also got frame drops for no reason and for about 10 secs?

THOMAS 21

Commendable
Apr 3, 2019
Hmm.. Does it list it as a microphone in game settings?
It has 2 choices one for microphone and one for audio. I change both to my headphones but nothing changes. Anyway i care more about the fps drop for no reason. Maybe people from above are right about some kind of backround activity causing it. How can it be explained that for no reason and for about 10 secs fps drop and stay 20-40 and then back to normal...

To disable Windows Update:
Click the start menu, search for Services.msc, and launch it. Look for a Windows Update service, and right click it then choose properties. For startup type, set it to manual. Note that you will have to manually open Windows Update and check for updates now that you have stopped it from automatically doing.
Also, press ctrl+alt+del and choose Task Manager. If there is no option for start-up, click the expand button. Go to the start-up tab, and right click then disable anything not needed. This might include programs that you did not know we're automatically starting. Do not disable anything you need, lIke AMD, Steam etc. If you are unsure, just ask whether it should be disabled.

TRENDING THREADS