Question Problem with new screen turning off (and staying off)

Jun 11, 2019
My problem is that my screen just randomly turns off. Sometimes within 3 minutes, sometimes after 45 minutes. There seems to be no pattern. The screen turns off randomly while running windows, and randomly when having games run. Sometimes the screen crashes when I’m trying to start a game, sometimes while idling in windows.

I just got a new screen, the Samsung LC49RG90, and to match it I got the Radeon VII. I’m running it on an older motherboard, but I checked before I got the graphics card. MB and card both have PCI-E 3. MB is a z170x-Gaming 3. Processor is i5-6600K. Ram is 16GB.

I run the screen on full res, 5120x1400.

When installing the drivers for the graphics card I had to attach one of my old HD monitors to the computer because without the graphics drivers the screen wouldn’t even turn on. Once the drivers were in, I got it to start. System upstart is a little slower than usual however. I almost have the impression that the system boots twice before the screen actually turns on.

Screensaver is turned off. When the screen crashed I tried to restart the graphics drivers with shift-ctrl-win-b, but nothing happened. Turning the power button on the screen off and on again doesn’t help either. I always have to restart to get the screen to pop back on.

I have the latest stable AMD drivers installed. The screen’s drivers are installed. I have a 750W Corsair power supply (which is 150W above required).

One weird thing. I also have a 4K tv attached to the graphics card, it’s screen nr 2. If it is turned on while i try to start the computer, the main screen (the Samsung) doesn’t turn on at all. Not sure what that means. When I run the computer screen without the TV also being run at the same time the problem is exactly the same as when the TV is also enabled.

The graphics card and screen seem to run fine, I can run Doom on maxed out settings at max resolution with 120fps.

Is there a way to figure out what’s at fault here?

It sounds like a graphics card problem. Did you use the newest drivers direct from AMD, here? Don't use the ones from the disc, as they will likely be outdated. Also, did you uninstall all old graphics drivers? If you have any drivers for any graphics card (including your current one) at the moment, I'd suggest that you uninstall them all, restart your PC, then install the ones from the link I gave you to ensure you have the newest ones and no conflicts.

Jun 11, 2019
I uninstalled the old drivers with the AMD driver uninstaller, made a clean restart, then installed the new drivers after letting the AMD driver detector auto-detect what drivers I needed. I installed the latest stable build. Didn't use any disk.

Checking your link the 19.5.2 drivers are installed. Should I test the other package above that?

Just to test - I turned on my 4K TV as well and have played a lighter game. For 2 hours nothing has happened. This is the longest I've gone the last two days without a monitor crash.

Hi, I'd suggest to uninstall the old drivers using control panel and not AMDs program, then use the link I gave for the newest ones. This will just ensure that you have completely got it set up properly, as the automatic programs sometimes do not do a good job.
Also, just to be sure, your PSU does have two 8 pin (or 6+2) connectors for the GPU, right, and you aren't using molex to PCI adapters or anything? How many amps does the PSU have on the 12v rail?

Jun 11, 2019
Thanks for the reply!

I’ll try to uninstall and reinstall the latest drivers as you suggested.
I got the super ultra wide screen a few days before the graphics card, so was running it on my old one for a few days. The old card couldn’t run it well, it had to run at a lower resolution, also it couldn’t start up the screen. I had to have a HD screen attached, start windows and once I was in windows I could plug in the super ultra wide. Otherwise neither screen would turn on.

I’ll use IOBit Uninstaller to get rid of the old drivers. That has been very helpful in the past removing every scrap of drivers/software and registry entries.

Yes I connected all 16 pins, directly from the PSU, with original cables. The PSU has seemingly 62 A on the +12V. On -12V it has 0.8 A.

Jun 11, 2019
New drivers - same problem. Random screen shut down without recovery other than computer restart. I'll try running it at a lower resolution for a while to see if that does anything.

Edit: Trying to run the screen on the next lowest resolution (which was supported by the old graphics card and which didn't create this problem before I switched cards) doesn't help either. Screen still crashes randomly.

Edit edit: Something weird that's happening when I'm trying to play with a friend: The sreen crashes (the last hour it did every 10 min) I get kicked out of the game (he is hosting), but we stay connected on Skype.

I'm starting to think I might have to get a new MB, maybe this one is just a tad too old for this GPU for some reason. I could try flashing the bios, haven't done that since I got it. I just don't understand if I only need the latest bios or some other versions too...

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2019
Trying to run the computer in failsafe mode now, to see if it happens again...

Edit: I just keep documenting my findings here, for posterity.
I checked inside my case to see if all the cables were in order. Didn't find anything out of order. When I checked the PSU however (a modular Corsair 750W) I found that it only in one module slot says 6+2 PCI-E. The GPU needs 2(6+2). I have put two 6+2 power cables into the card, but they only feed from one place. Do I perhaps need a PSU that also has two 6+2 PCI-E output slots or does a splitter (original) do fine as long as I don't need more power than the GPU provides?

Last edited: