[SOLVED] Problem with newly built PC

Sep 24, 2021
I've bought a few parts to try and build a new PC but have realised that when it doesn't work properly that I'm no expert on any of this (haven't built a Windows PC in about 10 years)

I guess the first thing is to check that the parts I have bought are actually compatible with each other. I've got an MSI B550 Gaming Plus motherboard, an AMD Ryzen 5700G CPU, 32GB memory (2 x 16GB Crucial Ballistix BL2K16G32C16U4B 3200 MHz, DDR4, DRAM) a WD Blue SN550 1TB High-Performance M.2 PCIe NVME SSD and am using a 500W Corsair power supply to power it.

I've put it all together but when I turn it on I just get a black screen. The CPU fan and the case fan are both spinning and there are lights on the motherboard. I get no post message at all and when I check the EZ Debug LEDs on the motherboard the CPU light is on. I think this means that the CPU is faulty/not connected properly but as I have no other parts or motherboards to swap it out for then I'm a bit lost as to how I troubleshoot it further?

As these are all new components (apart from the power supply which was in an old PC and is know to be working), I'm unsure as to how to work out exactly what the issue is and what component(s) are at fault.

Solution
The motherboard may not have the most up to date UEFI to support the 5700G.

I'll have to do some digging around to see if you can work around this, but otherwise you have to get a compatible-at-the-time-of-B550's-release CPU to update it.

EDIT: Consult page 46 of the manual

Updating BIOS with Flash BIOS Button
  1. Please download the latest BIOS file that matches your motherboard model from the MSI® website.
  2. Rename the BIOS file to MSI.ROM, and save it to the root of your USB flash drive.
  3. Connect the power supply to CPU_PWR1 and ATX_PWR1. (No need to install CPU and memory.)
  4. Plug the USB flash drive that contains the MSI.ROM file into the Flash BIOS Port on the rear I/O panel.
  5. Press the Flash BIOS...
The motherboard may not have the most up to date UEFI to support the 5700G.

I'll have to do some digging around to see if you can work around this, but otherwise you have to get a compatible-at-the-time-of-B550's-release CPU to update it.

EDIT: Consult page 46 of the manual

Updating BIOS with Flash BIOS Button
  1. Please download the latest BIOS file that matches your motherboard model from the MSI® website.
  2. Rename the BIOS file to MSI.ROM, and save it to the root of your USB flash drive.
  3. Connect the power supply to CPU_PWR1 and ATX_PWR1. (No need to install CPU and memory.)
  4. Plug the USB flash drive that contains the MSI.ROM file into the Flash BIOS Port on the rear I/O panel.
  5. Press the Flash BIOS Button to flash BIOS, and the LED starts flashing.
  6. The LED will be turned off when the process is completed.

Step 3 implies you don't need a compatible CPU to update the UEFI

Last edited:
Reactions: rickypicky5
Solution
Sep 24, 2021
I got the BIOS from the MSI website, renamed it and added it to the root of a USB stick. I then powered on the motherboard with the USB stick in the Flash BIOS slot and pressed the Flash BIOS button.

The red LED lights up when I press the Flash BIOS button but it goes out as soon as I release it. It doesn't start flashing etc. and doesn't seem to do any flashing of the BIOS.

Sep 24, 2021
Doh! I was trying to flash the BIOS with the motherboard turned on. Tried again with the power connected but the motherboard off and now it's flashing the LED and seems to be updating the BIOS. Will have to wait now and see what happens when it's done.