Problem with Norton Liveupdate

Hi,
I have just installed Norton Internet Security 2005 on my Win ME PC.

The installation went without a problem.
However when I use liveupdate to update the software, once the updates
have been downloaded and Norton starts to install them, the screen
turns blue and freezes.

The only way is to hard reboot the PC.
Once the PC is rebooted none of the liveupdates are installed.

Can anyone advise.

Thanks very much for any guidence.

Phil.

"portchey" <portchey@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I have just installed Norton Internet Security 2005 on my Win ME PC.
>
> The installation went without a problem.
> However when I use liveupdate to update the software, once the updates
> have been downloaded and Norton starts to install them, the screen
> turns blue and freezes.
>
> The only way is to hard reboot the PC.
> Once the PC is rebooted none of the liveupdates are installed.
>
> Can anyone advise.
>
> Thanks very much for any guidence.

You will no doubt be advised by the experts here to removed Nortons from your
system. They have good reasons for this advise, especially if you're using
anything more than just Nortons Anti-Virus (which I note you are).

But, short of removal, you might try disabling Windows System Restore. At least
when you find Live Update is telling you it wasn't do to anything more complex
than just virus definitions. I've found that Nortons doesn't play nice with SR,
especially when LU is doing anything other than simply downloading virus
definitions. Also, on some systems, it can help to not let Live Update run
automatically on system start up, but to use it manually instead.

- Bill

Uninstall Norton and return to vendor as not fit for purpose - Norton and
Win ME don't play well!

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

"portchey" <portchey@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I have just installed Norton Internet Security 2005 on my Win ME PC.
>
> The installation went without a problem.
> However when I use liveupdate to update the software, once the updates
> have been downloaded and Norton starts to install them, the screen
> turns blue and freezes.
>
> The only way is to hard reboot the PC.
> Once the PC is rebooted none of the liveupdates are installed.
>
> Can anyone advise.
>
> Thanks very much for any guidence.
>
> Phil.

Hi Bill and Noel.

I beleive I can get the updated Virus Definitions from Symantecs site
and install them manually but where would I get the other updates,
like ad blocking etc.

Thanks for any advice.

Phil.

While Mr. Leary's advice re: disabling System Restore before running
Symantec's Live Update on a WinME machine may permit Live Update to run
successfully, I would comment that it is rather like removing all the brake
fluid from one's master cylinder before driving down to get the Sunday
newspaper --- not good!

If the Live Update session kills winME, one is left with the possibility of
running SR under DOS to recover.
To paraphrase Mike Maltby's frequent comment in the WinME ng's, don't take
off the parachute when "Norton stunt flying".

Your cooperation is very appreciated.
------
"Bill Leary" <Bill_Leary@msn.com> wrote in message
> "portchey" <portchey@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > I have just installed Norton Internet Security 2005 on my Win ME PC.
> >
> > The installation went without a problem.
> > However when I use liveupdate to update the software, once the updates
> > have been downloaded and Norton starts to install them, the screen
> > turns blue and freezes.
> >
> > The only way is to hard reboot the PC.
> > Once the PC is rebooted none of the liveupdates are installed.
> >
> > Can anyone advise.
> >
> > Thanks very much for any guidence.
>
> You will no doubt be advised by the experts here to removed Nortons from
your
> system. They have good reasons for this advise, especially if you're
using
> anything more than just Nortons Anti-Virus (which I note you are).
>
> But, short of removal, you might try disabling Windows System Restore. At
least
> when you find Live Update is telling you it wasn't do to anything more
complex
> than just virus definitions. I've found that Nortons doesn't play nice
with SR,
> especially when LU is doing anything other than simply downloading virus
> definitions. Also, on some systems, it can help to not let Live Update
run
> automatically on system start up, but to use it manually instead.
>
> - Bill

Since I refuse to use ANY Norton software on any machine I work on regularly
(and uninstall it by default on any client's machine unless I have VERY good
reason not to!) I have no idea - and could possibly not care less.

Symantec's support pages would seem to be the place to go - if you can find
your way through the maze.

--

> While Mr. Leary's advice re: disabling System Restore before running
> Symantec's Live Update on a WinME machine may permit Live Update to run
> successfully, I would comment that it is rather like removing all the brake
> fluid from one's master cylinder before driving down to get the Sunday
> newspaper --- not good!

I wasn't proposing leaving it turned off, though I suppose I wasn't clear on
that point.

My own experience with Nortons is limited to NAV only, 2003 and now 2005. After
the initial install, it pulls down a large number of updates, including to the
programs themselves. I've had few problems with 2005, but when I did 2003 I had
problems whenever it did program updates. I quickly traced these to conflicts
between it and SR. Other problems, including startup ones, were also SR
conflicts Since the OP has the much larger suite, I thought that perhaps
disabling SR might be helpful.

Since I was sure numerous folks would suggest dumping the package, I figured it
would hurt if I put out a suggestion on surviving it.

> If the Live Update session kills winME, one is left with the possibility of
> running SR under DOS to recover.
> To paraphrase Mike Maltby's frequent comment in the WinME ng's, don't take
> off the parachute when "Norton stunt flying".

I don't recall ever reading that, but it's both colorful and useful.

I'm aware of the feelings of the group on Nortons, and my experience has just
been different. At least relevant to NAV. The rest of the suite, on the other
hand, scares me and always has. Sometimes your milage can vary a great deal.

- Bill

Hi All,

Looks like the best thing is for me to uninstall it then and look else
where for a package that will work with Win ME.
Maybe, ultimately, I should dump Win ME and upgrade to Win XP pro.

Thanks for everyones help and guidence.

Phil.

Phil,

Remember though that Norton can cause problems regardless of the operating
system on which it is installed.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

portchey <portchey@gmail.com> wrote:

> Looks like the best thing is for me to uninstall it then and look else
> where for a package that will work with Win ME.
> Maybe, ultimately, I should dump Win ME and upgrade to Win XP pro.
>
> Thanks for everyones help and guidence.

Hi All,

It seems that the installing of Norton, regardless of the operating
system is a lottery.

I have another PC that is running Win XP pro with Norton internet
security 2004 and Ghost 9.
No problems yet.
Other people have had a nightmare with this conbination.
I must be lucky on this PC.

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

Just my 2 penneth !

I too had problems with the full install of Norton Suite on Win ME.

I then tried just putting on Norton Anti-Virus JUST on its own ....
problems there too ... may a reformatting of hard drive in ,ost cases
to reatore normality ... until I went back to NAV 2002 (any newer and
loads of problems !) and had that on months now witt NO PROBLEMS AT
ALL.

Seems stuff later than 2002 is not really compatible with Windows ME
... well not in my experience anyway.

Steve

"Steve" <steve@removethis.parity.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> Just my 2 penneth !
>
> I too had problems with the full install of Norton Suite on Win ME.
>
> I then tried just putting on Norton Anti-Virus JUST on its own ....
> problems there too ... may a reformatting of hard drive in ,ost cases
> to reatore normality ... until I went back to NAV 2002 (any newer and
> loads of problems !) and had that on months now witt NO PROBLEMS AT
> ALL.
>
> Seems stuff later than 2002 is not really compatible with Windows ME
> .. well not in my experience anyway.

This feels like a shell game. *I* had constant minor problems and occasional
major ones with 2003, but have had very few problems with 2005. Anti-virus
only. I wonder if it matters what else you've got installed. Or, like HP*
stuff, what order you install things in. Or ???

- Bill
----------
* I have an HP printer, scanner and DVD burner. While re-installing ME I
discovered that if I didn't install their respective drivers and updates in just
the right order they wouldn't all work and, in some cases, ME wouldn't even
boot. I was incredibly lucky that when I called HP about one of the problems
that the phone person actually admitted that the problem existed and, although
she wasn't sure how to get around it, suggested things to watch out for.

....it'll happen!
:(

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

In fond memory of one of life's Gentlemen - Alex Nichol
http://www.aumha.org/alex.htm